Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Who has used marble/stone for their splashbacks?

Page 1 of 1
We are currently in the design process of building our home with a custom builder. We have decided to go with a dark marble splashback as our feature in our kitchen. Using gloss white 2 pack overheads and base cupboards with a lighter stone benchtop. Our splashback will only measure around 2.4m long and at around 600mm high. People who have used stone, How thick was your stone that you used? Did you have to buy a whole slab of marble and did this give you any issues with the cabinetmaker or your cook-top?

Any information would be fantastic, and also I welcome any photos!
All proper stone splash backs are 20mm thick.

You need to tell the cabinetmaker in advance that you are having stone splashbacks as the bench top needs to be slightly deeper to allow for it.
Yeah thank you. I thought that would be the case were currently pricing up some marble slabs that we can use for our kitchen splash back and also for our outdoor barbecue bench top. Having a glass stove will we need a wider top anyway?
One of the new Carlisle displays at Harpley in Werribee has a stone splashback. Looks stunning.

Thefatpain
Having a glass stove will we need a wider top anyway?

It doesn't have anything to do with it being glass. Its all about where the elements are. Some are very close to the back edge and you would need extra bench top depth to allow for it especially with a stone splashback.

All cooktops are different and you really need to pay attention to the dimensions and layout.
Gas stovetop**

Sorry for the mix up.
Thefatpain
Gas stovetop**

Sorry for the mix up.

Exactly the same answer
Had a huge area in granite splashback in house built in late 90, s, was the easiest of all splashbacks to keep clean, I would rate from worst to best, plain wall, tiles, glass, stone.
We are looking at a travertine splashback. Wasn't something we were intending but saw a feature panel made up at National Tiles and just loved it. We will be doing it ourselves.
Be careful as travertine can be very porous and stain, ,test a sample with plenty of potential food and leave over night.
Stone splash back great, ,marble way to porous and will stain , would only use marble in non wet areas, as am talking from personal experiences, man made marble look would be great as well.
Good to read.

Im having Ceaserstone Ocean Foam benchtops and decided to continue it for the splashback.

Reason is, I'm a bit over the glass, and have never loved it.

Had the tiled splashback in the last house, so looking for a change.

Hopefully it will look great.
Here is a couple of pic's of a recent job I finished that used stone for the splashback.

It looked very smart and was a change from the normal glass splashback. The continuity between the bench and splashback was nice.

I had to make extra allowance for depth around the stove top so as CEK mentioned make sure you tell your cabinet maker you are having stone.

Related
18/12/2023
Marble Tiling Issues

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi All, This is my first bathroom Reno and tiler has just finished installing marble tiles…only problem is they don’t look right? There are holes in the grout, really…

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

4/10/2023
DIY External facade stone cladding

General Discussion

Re my second point – yes exactly. And often it may take additional time if the manufacturer recommends no more than X meters…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum