Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Laminate panels for island ends

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, looking for some advice and photos if possible. Has anyone done their kitchen with thick laminate panels to the ends of their island? I'm going to do white flecked stone and off-White cabinetry for the back wall of my kitchen, then for something different was thinking of having polytec black wenge cabinetry on the island with 8cm panels of the same on the ends, as opposed to stone waterfall. All in matt. I like that lustre of matt on TV or magazines but never know if what I'm seeing is laminate or another material. So hard to visualise when you are choosing all these things from tiny samples!
Are you talking square laminated??

If so I would strongly recommend against it. Laminate edges chip very easily if no post formed(rolled like a pencil round)

I have seen it done before and around foot height it tends to chip badly.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
Are you talking square laminated??

If so I would strongly recommend against it. Laminate edges chip very easily if no post formed(rolled like a pencil round)

I have seen it done before and around foot height it tends to chip badly.

Afraid, we've got polytec to our island drawers. Maybe they've rolled it though? They're doing handless drawers so they'd have to form it up somehow..

Custom knockdown rebuild Newcastle NSW
viewtopic.php?t=78271
Leksie5000
[Afraid, we've got polytec to our island drawers. Maybe they've rolled it though? They're doing handless drawers so they'd have to form it up somehow..

viewtopic.php?t=78271

Polytec what though??

It may be a prefinished melamine with a PVC edge.

The OP mentioned laminated panels which chip badly.

Ursula123 are you able to clarify exactly what product you are talking about when you say laminate?? A lot of people use the work laminate for prefinished melamine, the two are totally different!
CuttingEdgeKitchens
Leksie5000
[Afraid, we've got polytec to our island drawers. Maybe they've rolled it though? They're doing handless drawers so they'd have to form it up somehow..

viewtopic.php?t=78271

Polytec what though??

It may be a prefinished melamine with a PVC edge.

The OP mentioned laminated panels which chip badly.

Ursula123 are you able to clarify exactly what product you are talking about when you say laminate?? A lot of people use the work laminate for prefinished melamine, the two are totally different!

Ah I see.. Well ours is the polytec ravine colours?

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Leksie5000
[Ah I see.. Well ours is the polytec ravine colours?

viewtopic.php?t=78271

So polytec ravine comes as a laminate and also 18mm prefinished board. Two completely different products! Again more info needed.

The laminate is only 1mm thick and glue to a substrate on all faces and edges, the corners unless post formed chip quite easily.

The pre finished board comes either 16 or 18mm thick finish in ravine on both sides. Once cut to size the edges are normally finished with 1-2mm pvc edging which is a lot stronger than laminate.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
Leksie5000
[Ah I see.. Well ours is the polytec ravine colours?

viewtopic.php?t=78271

So polytec ravine comes as a laminate and also 18mm prefinished board. Two completely different products! Again more info needed.

The laminate is only 1mm thick and glue to a substrate on all faces and edges, the corners unless post formed chip quite easily.

The pre finished board comes either 16 or 18mm thick finish in ravine on both sides. Once cut to size the edges are normally finished with 1-2mm pvc edging which is a lot stronger than laminate.

Ah cool. Just checked our detail it's "polytec melamine board with PVC dura edge" on the island bar and and drawer fronts. Rest of the kitchen is 2PAC satin finish.

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Leksie5000
[Ah cool. Just checked our detail it's "polytec melamine board with PVC dura edge" on the island bar and and drawer fronts. Rest of the kitchen is 2PAC satin finish.

Perfect, that wont chip and is much better than laminate for those areas!
CuttingEdgeKitchens
Leksie5000
[Ah cool. Just checked our detail it's "polytec melamine board with PVC dura edge" on the island bar and and drawer fronts. Rest of the kitchen is 2PAC satin finish.

Learn something new every day.. It's a pretty decent outfit I think whose doing our cabinets so I wasn't too worried

viewtopic.php?t=78271
CuttingEdgeKitchens
Leksie5000

Learn something new every day.. It's a pretty decent outfit I think whose doing our cabinets so I wasn't too worried

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Thanks CuttingEdge. Our plans say standard melamine with 1mm PVC edge. The specs for end panels just say80mm mitered polytec melamine, and the doors for the island say polytec melamine with 1mm PVC edge. Reckon that's alright?
Ursula123
Thanks CuttingEdge. Our plans say standard melamine with 1mm PVC edge. The specs for end panels just say80mm mitered polytec melamine, and the doors for the island say polytec melamine with 1mm PVC edge. Reckon that's alright?

If the 80mm end panels go to the floor and are mitred then the corners will be very week. A knock with anything hard will dent/chip the corners easily. Just try and be very careful.
Hmmm it's not too late to change! I was thinking of doing something different (and cheaper) than the stone waterfall ends. I've seen thick end panels with a profile, would that be vinyl wrap do you think? Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Ursula123
Hmmm it's not too late to change! I was thinking of doing something different (and cheaper) than the stone waterfall ends. I've seen thick end panels with a profile, would that be vinyl wrap do you think? Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Hi Ursula
I'm looking into something similar to what you were asking. Would be great if you went ahead with it.
I have a 40mm overlap on each side of my bench top, looking at options of either timber or if it can be done laminate good, even vinyl wrap sounds good as long as it matches cabinetry.
Here's a pic of what I want to achieve

I have same colour cabinetry. Look forward to hearing your progress

viewtopic.php?t=79203
Related
22/01/2024
Installing laminate panels on concrete ceiling

General Discussion

Hello - we were hoping to apply laminate click lock panels to our concrete ceiling, but not too sure how to go about attaching the panels to the concrete. Any idea what…

18/03/2024
DIY Decorative Wall Panels

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hey everyone, Jumping on the forum to see if anyone…

1/05/2024
Plasterboard (13mm) vs VJ Panels

Building A New House

Plasterboard (13mm) vs VJ Panels – for…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum