Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Position of LED strip lighting on upper cabinets

Page 1 of 1
Hi kitchen pro's

We are about to have LED strip lighting installed underneath our overhead cabinets.

We have two options to "house" the strip that have a nice frosted cover. One is kind of a wedge shape so you can have it fitted at the corner of the wall and underside of the upper cabinetry, and the light protrudes forwards, or you can have it fitted so the light protrudes down/back toward the white splashback, or a staple shape "housing" so the strip lights face down to the bench.

For us, the purpose is a combination of some contribution to task lighting but mainly as a feature.
I have seen a photo of the corner housing where the light kind of was very bright and glary as it streamed towards you (and given the top the dcabinets are kind of my eye height) i think this is the wrong option full stop.

So, would people go with the housing that points the strip lighting down (and we would have this near the back of the cabinet), OR the housing that angles the light towards to the splashback to capture reflections off there too?

Thanks!
This is what I normally suggest.

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy230/VTSS350/DSC_2132DesktopResolution.jpg
Thanks CEK.

They look good but they are rebated right? I guess we could do that but it probably should have been done during cabinetry being made so what we install will have to probably be attached straight to bottom of overhead carcasses...?

Beazley77
Thanks CEK.

They look good but they are rebated right? I guess we could do that but it probably should have been done during cabinetry being made so what we install will have to probably be attached straight to bottom of overhead carcasses...?

Yep, they are rebated into a separate panel.

If you are retro fitting LED strip lights to an existing kitchen then just put them in the back corner. Anything else looks naf.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
Beazley77
Thanks CEK.

Yep, they are rebated into a separate panel.

If you are retro fitting LED strip lights to an existing kitchen then just put them in the back corner. Anything else looks naf.

Yep cool thanks.

Hi Beazley77,
the housing for the LED strip lights is known as a diffuser, and is used to take the dotted effect away from the strip lighting. I personally prefer the angled one for the back of the wall cabinets as it directs light not only down the splashback but also onto the bench top. Both Hafele and Hettich sell many variations of the diffusers. They do give your kitchen a nice effect. Hafele actually make strip lighting that you can change the colour to suit your mood, using a remote control.

Hope this helps
Hey kitchenpro, thanks for the correct terminology! Will help my searches online! Good to know how they spread/diffuse the light!

Hi Kitchener, how much roughly tge cost to supply and install the led strips, is it usually done by kitchen installer ?

The LED strip tape is mounted into a "profile" or "extrusion" which is made from aluminium and acts as a heat sink for the LEDs. The "diffuser" is the clear or frosted plastic cover that clips in to the profile or extrusion.

You can get all different sizes and shapes of profile. As an example try this link http://www.domuslighting.com.au/catalog ... d-profiles

It should be installed by an electrician.

In my opinion I would use the rebated profile shining straight down.
Related
23/01/2024
Strip drain

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone has switched from a small square tile insert or normal square waste to a strip drain at all, and if so did the plumber or diy-er…

31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum