Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Depth of kitchen bench and below cabinets

Page 1 of 1
Hello all,
I'm designing a kitchen for a friend, it's a very small space, I was wondering if it would be weird to have the depth bigger then the standard 600mm. I have the space to make it 700, would this be impractical and bring the costs up?
He would gain a bit more storage if the under bench cabinets were deeper and it will be custom made by a joiner (not flat pack).
Thanks in advance.
Hi Julia.
No it's not weird. While a 600 bench is standard, deeper benches are actually quite nice. Some appliances are a struggle to fit to in a 600 bench.
You can also fit deeper drawer units to make full use of the extra depth.
The extra cost is negligible. Depending on the layout there may not be any extra coloured panel so the biggest extra cost would be the benchtop and possibly extra cost for the longer drawer units if you are using them.
If you've got the space I'd do it.
The bench at the end of our kitchen has a 700mm depth. This was so the fridge didn't stick out as much but the extra 10cm is great and doesn't look weird at all. Also have 900mm and 600mm benches in the kitchen and doesn't look weird with 3 different depths.
The drawers under the 600mm and 700mm are the same depth though...no extra for the 700mm so ask about that if you wanted deeper drawers to see if it's possible or not reccommended
xxkatxx
The drawers under the 600mm and 700mm are the same depth though...no extra for the 700mm so ask about that if you wanted deeper drawers to see if it's possible or not reccommended

Drawer runners come in 50mm increments. If you are having custom build cabinets as the OP said then the drawers can be deeper with a 700mm bench top.

600mm Bench top = 500mm deep drawers

700mm Bench top = 600mm deep drawers
thank you guys, I'm already loving this forum!
Yes I realise they could of been deeper but no idea why they weren't. ..which is why I would make a point of saying you want to use the full depth.
xxkatxx
Yes I realise they could of been deeper but no idea why they weren't. .

Someone was cutting corners!!
For a large expensive custom cabinet company I would hope not....I think they mentioned something about them being 1100mm wide so not recommended to be deeper.
xxkatxx
For a large expensive custom cabinet company I would hope not....I think they mentioned something about them being 1100mm wide so not recommended to be deeper.

Hahahaha, what a load of $#%@. Whoever told you that should be shot!

With a 60kg runner you could easily have a 600mm deep drawer!
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

22/10/2023
Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Building A New House

The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum