Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Extend overheads or not

Page 1 of 1
Last decision I think! We have a bank of three sets of drawers with matching overheads above. However, the 40mm caesarstone will mean that the bench is 22 mm longer than the overheads that end with an 18mm panel.

Need to approve final plans and choose from:
(1) Stop tiles at overhead so there will be 22 mm bench with no tile above (shown first pic, all units 833 mm)
(2) Increase left overhead by 22 mm (each door 11 mm) so that bench/tiles/overheads are flush (shown 2nd pic, left is 855mm)
(3) Take tiles to end of bench but there will be 22mm tile without overhead above (not shown)

Don't think I want to shorten the drawer units as then the drawers won't be interchangeable.
Too many details!! Thanks for your help in advance.

The overhead cabinets should line up with the outside edge of the bench top!

That way the bench top, tiles and overheads will follow one line. Done any other way and it looks like a mistake has been made!
CuttingEdgeKitchens
The overhead cabinets should line up with the outside edge of the bench top!

That way the bench top, tiles and overheads will follow one line. Done any other way and it looks like a mistake has been made!

Yip, I agree with this
Thanks, was leaning towards 2 but cabinetmaker thinks 1! Happy to hear from anyone who has an opinion.
Agree option 2 would be my preference
Without doubt option 2. Evenmore so if you decide to sell this in a few years. Without them being flush, it will look very odd and potential buyers will question this.

I am surprised the builder has put you in this situation to begin with as he/she should have known better (EG the Ceasarstone of 40mm should have already been factored into the length of the overhead cupboards). At least the builder appears to be giving you the option as per what you would like to do now.
Related
9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum