Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Overhaed cupboards- rangehood

Page 1 of 1
Hi. We want a pull out rangehood and I like the cupboards flush (I think it lookls better).

Now we want to have a gas cooktop and a kitchen designer said we have to have 65cm between the cooker and the rangehood. Usually 60cm. So do I raise all the overheads? We are tall so I suppose it doesn't matter. What about the splashback? there will be a small cut tile if we have tiles. I assume a glass splashback will be just cut to fit.

Also we have a bulkhead now but want to get rid of it. I assume I just have really tall cupboards to go to the cornice?
Thanks everyone. Over the last few days I have read the whole "show me your kitchen thread". WOW!! amazing. I have cut and pasted ideas.
Leave a 65cm space and keep all the overheads at the same height. If you step them down it looks silly. It depends on the size of the tiles you are using. If done correctly you wouldn't notice it. Yes glass is just cut to suit.

Take the overheads to the underside of the cornice and then put a new bulkhead up. Then cornice around it. It looks so much better!
Thank you.
I should have been more specific. The ceiling and walls will be replaced when we pull the old kitchen out.
I'm just concerned about getting them the right height. I'm assuming I need to put something on top of the kitchen cupboards to glue the gyprock to.

Or should I stop worrying and let the kitchen installer worry about it?
How high are your ceilings?
What size is your cornice?
CuttingEdgeKitchens

Take the overheads to the underside of the cornice and then put a new bulkhead up. Then cornice around it. It looks so much better!

Sorry to hijack but can you explain further what you mean here CEK?
Only 2400. Standard cornice- 10ml. Someone suggested screw a run of board (same as the cupboards) on top of the cupboards and fix the cornice to that.

Sorry to be a pain but I know (from previous renos) who will be doing the cornice. Me!! But I've only ever done straight walls.
We have a window as the main feature of our splashback. We then have 850mm on either end. We also have a gas stove, which means the cupboards have to be 650mm above the stove top. Our splashback window is 600mm high, which leaves a 50mm gap between the top of the window and the splashback

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s112/paris-stella/3981DC7F-96C4-455E-AEEA-18956EA6052A-2466-000000904329FD8F_zpsaaf6c899.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s112/paris-stella/B9A73108-E2C7-4F7A-AE84-EC801E051400-2466-0000009026A1114B_zps4cfb2851.jpg

We have a completely concealed rangehood, but we have kept the upper cupboards all at the same height.

We are having a glass splashback, and getting them to put a small piece between the window and the upper cupboards.

As you can see from the pictures, we have a bulkhead above our upper cupboards. If you do not want a bulkhead, I would ask the kitchen manufacturer to increase the height of the cupboards to the ceiling and you would not have to worry about adding a cornice.
travelbug
Only 2400. Standard cornice- 10ml. Someone suggested screw a run of board (same as the cupboards) on top of the cupboards and fix the cornice to that.

Sorry to be a pain but I know (from previous renos) who will be doing the cornice. Me!! But I've only ever done straight walls.

Yes that is a bulkhead!

You run the overheads up to 2370high and then screw an MDF bulkhead to that which then has the cornice glued to it.
This kitchen shows what I am talking about.

Please ignore the colours and design. We did it ten years ago for a customer in my wife's home town of Condobolin. They had some strange ideas!

I'm sorry I'm a bit thick on Wednesdays. Are you saying it looks strange with the cornice directly off the cabinets like that? Are you proposing there should be some bulkhead sticking out above it and then THAT can be corniced? Wouldn't that stick out even more??
Related
7/05/2024
Which 90cm rangehood is better

Building A New House

Canopy and Undermount are best, and need to be ducted externally. Which one you go with will be largely determined by your design and joinery choices. What you should be…

12/01/2024
Overhead cupboards.

Building A New House

Hi, Can anyone give me approx. price for overhead cupboards. TIA

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum