Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen door/divider?

Page 1 of 1
I have recently fully renovated my 20-25yo 2br unit. The 'closed' kitchen room (as opposed to the modern open kitchens) has an entrance the size of a door from the living room...like most kitchens made at that time.

The question is whether I should leave it as is or have a divider of some sort. I actually like not having an open kitchen for such a small home since cooking and food preparation often disturbs people watching TV. I have experienced this at friends' homes and at times barely hear the tele when they're preparing food (especially when cooking stir fry!). Of course if you live in a bigger home this might not be a problem.

Other suggestions are welcome.
It's all about lifestyle.
Personally I'd leave the door off because i like to talk to my friends / partner while I'm cooking. But if you want to close it off, then put a door on.
I voted no door.
Steve
One half (my half) of the family is ethnic...when they come over there always in the kitchen jibber jabbering...for the way our family...um...er..."works"....doors off!
Given your own comments in the opening post, sounds like you are not in favour of the no door option so you have answered your own questiion there.
No point in doing the soft option of no 4, unless you like the look of beads etc, but it won't stop the noise factor, which seems to be the problem.
Can you do a bifold door, with glass panels, or plain timber, they don't take up space when opening like a standard door (important if your unit is small and use of space is crucial) and also are easier to leave open when desired, shut when neccesary.
May be a best of both worlds option?
Can you do a sliding cavity door? That way you can leave it open without the door being in the way, and shut it off when you want to?
Well. yes, donuts, a sliding cavity door or a bifold door would acheive this but may be hard to retro fit a sliding cavity door, impossible if wall is load bearing or unit is double brick (it was built 25 years ago when double brick was still relatively common).
You may be able to do a sliding door which slides outside the wall, depending on surrounding wall use, if you prefer sliding doors to bifold ones.
I like Helyn's idea of the small wooden bi-fold door. We had one of these in a previous rental and was great to be able to shut off the kitchen doorway when needed, however it was open most of the time - so it never got in the way.

Something like this:

Ray.
I have the same thing however my kitchen is roomy with meals area. My partner chopped a door in half, ordered clear glass put it in, got those funky looking handles that some of the front push doors have. He also installed this magnetic tip somewhere so the doors stay open if I want them to be.

I was looking for this everywhere and couldn't find it.
Related
26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum