Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

kickboard removal for floating floor, is it worth it?

Page 1 of 1
I want to put a floating bamboo floor in the kitchen (post-handover) and prefer to remove the kickboard in a newly built house. A carpenter is installing skirting after handover, so I thought I could get the kickboard done at the same time, that is, if I am able to remove it properly myself prior to floor installation AND I can also find decent replacements. I'm happy to use this opportunity to change my kickboard colour but if it's going to cost a fortune I will give up.

- My flooring budget is running out, but I would be happy to spend another $200 to get new panels etc. Am I unrealistic?

The kickboards are nailed from behind so apparently very difficult to remove though...what should I do? Alternatives are to leave the kick boards intact, and use scotia, beading or trims, which I have avoided in all other areas of the house.

- If I try to remove the kickboard, will it damage the cabinets at all? Or just the kick board itself?
- Is it hard to install new kickboards, and would I have difficulty finding materials?

I thought someone might have some good ideas or point me in the right direction....
Thanks for reading
Hi again Nobl! We dont like the look of the beading either so we had our installer put the silver trims around the kitchen island. These were also used where the bamboo meets the carpet and at the external doors, so they tie in well. We're really happy with the look of them

Here's a photo:
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u509/kjw7/4FF458E1-5F23-4152-A539-3723C1EE5754-818-0000020D45BD4AC9.jpg
Not sure if this is something you like the look of, but could be an option to consider

As for the kickboards, I'm not sure about removing them and I guess it depends on how big your kitchen is but I think you may be pushing it to get them replaced for under $200..that's just a guess though. It'd also depends on what you wanted for the new kickboards, for example the brushed aluminum would be more than just your regular coloured laminate.
Hi,

Depending what method has been used the kickboard is usually part of the plinth.
The plinth is usually set back 50mm (standard) from the front panel. Have a word with your kitchen cabinet maker for retro fit options seeing you want to change the colour anyway.
You could place the flooring onto the kickboard if you like that look.

Cheers
PS
There are two types of kickboards.

1. Proper kickboards built in a ladder style that fully support the cabinets. These can not be removed.

2. Flase kickboard fronts with plastic legs supporting the cabinets. These fronts can be removed.

I personally dont like the plastic legs and prefer building a proper kickboard. If you have proper kickboards you could have them leave the faces off and fit them yourself after the floor is installed.
kjw7
Hi again Nobl! We dont like the look of the beading either so we had our installer put the silver trims around the kitchen island. These were also used where the bamboo meets the carpet and at the external doors, so they tie in well. We're really happy with the look of them

Here's a photo:
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u509/kjw7/4FF458E1-5F23-4152-A539-3723C1EE5754-818-0000020D45BD4AC9.jpg
Not sure if this is something you like the look of, but could be an option to consider

As for the kickboards, I'm not sure about removing them and I guess it depends on how big your kitchen is but I think you may be pushing it to get them replaced for under $200..that's just a guess though. It'd also depends on what you wanted for the new kickboards, for example the brushed aluminum would be more than just your regular coloured laminate.

Thanks again Kayla
Your kitchen edging looks great, I think I might go with silver trims too if my installer can do it. I don't have tiles in the kitchen so the trims would go all the way to the bottom of the kickboard. Hmm...I was thinking just a normal laminate in the same colour as the cabinets would be good (if I were to replace the kickboard after flooring).
EcoFriendly
Hi,

Depending what method has been used the kickboard is usually part of the plinth.
The plinth is usually set back 50mm (standard) from the front panel. Have a word with your kitchen cabinet maker for retro fit options seeing you want to change the colour anyway.
You could place the flooring onto the kickboard if you like that look.

Cheers
PS

Hi EcoFriendly,

I'm not sure what method was used...sorry. Cabinet maker said it's hard to remove...so maybe it's wiser to place the flooring onto the kickboard, although I would still need a trim of some sort for expansion of the flooring. Thanks for your advice.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
There are two types of kickboards.

1. Proper kickboards built in a ladder style that fully support the cabinets. These can not be removed.

2. Flase kickboard fronts with plastic legs supporting the cabinets. These fronts can be removed.

I personally dont like the plastic legs and prefer building a proper kickboard. If you have proper kickboards you could have them leave the faces off and fit them yourself after the floor is installed.

Hi CuttingEdgeKitchens,

Thank you for the clarifications...Not sure which one mine are, as I did not choose them myself...but maybe it's 1, because I was told it was difficult to remove the kickboard. The kitchen is already fully installed (flooring to be done after handover)- so it might be too late to do what you suggested about leaving the faces off (?). Or is it still possible?
Related
7/02/2024
How to repair buckled floating floor?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Thanks, that's the motivation I needed to give it a try sooner rather than one day!

22/04/2024
Floating floor boards over slate tiles

General Discussion

To put anything over slate you will need to put self level compound over the entire area as slate various in thickness and is very un even. To install most types of…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum