Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

flushmounting an induction cooktop- need pro advice

Page 1 of 1
hi all
i already bought a 90cm flush mount induction cooktop.
having some trouble, as stone masons wont flush mount it due to cracking problems on the stone benchtop...understandable.

its a miele one, 6283 model.

i went to a miele distributor here and they said the same thing. Don't buy flush mount....---oops.

So...will it still look ok if its on top? I'm worried, pots will bang into the 7mm raised glass and crack it..

or should i push for it to be flush mounted....kitchen guy has already said no...but will talk to stone mason again...previous cases of clients taking them to court, even though they signed a disclaimer is why they don't do it anymore. The hob, comes with strips you use instead of silicon so you can still take it out later if you need to fix it...
What thickness top are you using??

Why couldnt that use a double thickness strip 100mm wide under the top all the way around the cooktop cutout? This would then stop any cracking issues.

The link below is a kitchen I fitted with a flush mount induction cooktop

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... =3&theater
Hi CEK
its a 40mm benchtop ( 2*20mm joined i believe)
i will ask my kitchen guy if he can do what you suggested
unfunkable
Hi CEK
its a 40mm benchtop ( 2*20mm joined i believe)
i will ask my kitchen guy if he can do what you suggested

Ok, so he shouldnt have any problems putting a 100mm strip around the underside of the cutout.

That kitchen I shoulded you is actually a 20mm top. The picture below shows the thickness better.
It actully has a 10mm rebate at the front to make it look really thin.

Flush mount sinks & induction tops are quite easy to do in stone for people who know what they are doing. I work for a stonemason company in Melbourne and we could help you out if you are in Melbourne.
Thanks for the reply guys.
I think they can do it, its just that they have had problems in the past with the stone cracking because the pots slide off the cooktop and bang into the stone...I told him it is meant to be flush, so there should be no contact with the stone if the pan slides off the cooktop while cooking....don't think he understood what I meant. he is asking the stone mason again to see if they will agree to do it.

I am in canberra unfortunately
Flush mount should not be an issue, a stone mason will re enforce the corners of the cut out. These are becoming more and more popular.
unfunkable
I am in canberra unfortunately

Do you know who the mason is? There are a couple of good ones in Canberra.
nope no idea who it is...can you recommend me one?
i've seen some pictures where the induction top sits on top..its about 7mm doesnt look too bad at all...
flush is more streamline i guess....its just that so many people recommend(the miele rep, told me to get the 6282, which is framed) against it... and 2 kitchen companies.
Just found this thread and wondering what you ended up with ?

We're sort-of considering flush-mount, but are worried that as the "hole" in the top won't be **EXACTLY** the same size as the glass, the "gap" will fill up with "gunk", or if the installer uses silicon to fill in the gap then the silicon will look yucky reasonably soon .............

P_D
Pepsi_Drinker

We're sort-of considering flush-mount, but are worried that as the "hole" in the top won't be **EXACTLY** the same size as the glass, the "gap" will fill up with "gunk", or if the installer uses silicon to fill in the gap then the silicon will look yucky reasonably soon .............

P_D

If done correctly there would be around 1mm gap all around
Buttercup
Pepsi_Drinker

P_D

If done correctly there would be around 1mm gap all around

Thanks for that, 1mm sounds pretty reasonable !!

Is this an "easy"* job for a stone-mason to do, and by that, is it the sort of thing where he can just program the cooktops dimensions into a CNC cutter / grinder / saw / router / other $$Zillion tool / and he get perfect results every time, or is a highly skilled task that involves extremely intricate cutting / polishing by hand to get the hole hand cut and polished with millimetre precision ?

Thanks,

P_D

*Not for one second trying to imply that the job of stonemason is anything other than a highly skilled craft, we all use machinery to make our tasks easier !!
No its not an easy job and thats why it cost a bit to have done.

Yes you will end up with a small 1mm gap between the cook top and stone. You either put silicon in it or leave it to collect grime.
the induction top is going to sit above the bench
It will be 7mm high
i went around to display homes and looked at similar setups and was fine with it in the end.
I did not like the look of silicon around the top, and if left open as many have said here, grime etc would collect in it.
I have a black glass gas cooktop (Bosch) hich sits above. Looks pretty schmick actually. Though would probably look better flush. I gather the induction would be along the same lines.
unfunkable
.......I did not like the look of silicon around the top, and if left open as many have said here, grime etc would collect in it.

Our concern 110%

There's the concern too that you don't get to pick your stone-mason with a regular builder, and someones professional 1mm gap might turn out to be 4mm - 5mm or so, that you WOULD notice !!

So it's just luck of the draw who your builder uses .....

Probably not worth the risk, IMHO !!

P_D
Related
4/10/2023
Sikaflex Pro instead of Window Flashing?

Renovation + Home Improvement

AFAIK, flashing is a minimum standard. Out of curiosity is your window glass stamped with AS requirements in any of the corners of each pane? Im almost certan if theyre…

15/04/2024
Pro finish tiling group

Renovation + Home Improvement

The wallopers will just say it's a civil matter.

25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum