Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Can you change the laminex covering for cupboards?

Page 1 of 1
Uhm... hypothetically speaking of course... say you weren't sure you like the laminex that ended up on you kitchen cupboards.
What options are there to change it once it's installed?

For example, can you simply cover it with another laminex coating? What about removing the previous one? Would it be a major endeavour? Would we need to remove the base carcasses / frames to change the laminex?
Hi, I just did a simple search on the web. You can paint the cupboards if you prepare the laminex surface.So you don't need to replace the cabinets at all.

Here are a few links I found:
http://livingwithlindsay.com/2009/05/ho ... iture.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_2325302_paint-l ... inets.html
There's also one on youtube. I do believe there are tradies out there who also do this if you don't want to do it yourself.
Laminex is a brand not a product. Laminate is a product but probably not what is on your doors.

More than likely it is lamiwood a prefinished laminex board with PVC edges???

You could laminate over it but I would recomend against it. You can also paint over it either by hand or with polyurethane but you can end up with small cracks where the edges are.

If you do end up painting dont be talked in the expensive Bunnings laminate primers. They are a waste of money!!! All you need to do is give the face of the door a good sand and then use a standard undercoat.
Thanks all - useful information indeed.
A pleasure. Hope you are happy with the finished result!!
Related
7/02/2024
Flooring & Floor Covering

Flooring & Floor Covering

got it. thanks. I was looking for word ' Adobe' and added filter. all good.

12/01/2024
Overhead cupboards.

Building A New House

Hi, Can anyone give me approx. price for overhead cupboards. TIA

27/04/2024
Laminex Essastone Discontinued - What are some good alternat

General Discussion

Caesarstone, quantum zero, Q Stone zero, porcelain. All the manufacturers are pivoting into zero silica materials. Google any of those and have a look. Some are still…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum