Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

cupboards - HORIZONTAL GRAIN

Page 1 of 2
what does it mean to have the grain of the cupboards to be horizontal???

does it mean the actual pattern of the cupboard laminate, or does it mean the lining of the laminate?

does it make much difference between vertical/horizontal??
andrew_123
what does it mean to have the grain of the cupboards to be horizontal???

does it mean the actual pattern of the cupboard laminate, or does it mean the lining of the laminate?

It means the pattern.

andrew_123
does it make much difference between vertical/horizontal??

Not really, It looks a bit wrong when you have a horizontal grain and the grain doesn't line up from one door to the next. With a fine grain melamine you cant tell as much with a horizontal grain, but with a timber Tasmanian oak it sticks out like dogs *#&$ whether its melamine/veneer/solid timber.
Most companies will have the grain verticle.
In 'some' cases it can change the price because of cutout sizes and wastage.
Andrew, usually the pattern runs vertically down the laminate sheet. So you will ususally see kitchen/bathrooms etc running with vertical grain. Sometimes people request horizontal grain. Now i am not sure if that laminate is a special order or what, but it is more expensive to get it that way...

In regards to the difference between the two, i think it depends on personal choice? Also if say your kitchen has a few long, horizontal cupboards or overheads, it can look quite efective. Which way are you leaning Andrew?
Horizontal will be much more expensive, because the trees are extremely rare. There are only a few places that they can get the trees to grow horizontally.

Ash.
royalblue
Horizontal will be much more expensive, because the trees are extremely rare. There are only a few places that they can get the trees to grow horizontally.

Ash.

have a look at the kitchen design layout here: http://www.carlislehomes.com.au/atlantique2.html

click more images util u reach the second ho9use -thats ours!

tell me which way to get it ; horzontal or vertical?? i have no idea which one to choose!!! and i forgot how the display had it!!!

PS. horizontal costs extra $455..
so this grain thing depends on which pattern u choose..?
andrew, here is a pic of both types.

http://www.square-mag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/cucine-fiamma-island.jpg

The end piece is vertical and the length of the cabinet has horizontal.

Hope that helps... You need to see a kitchen with it to appreciate it and decide if thats what you want?
Andrew,
If you were to have the floor tiles laid the same as photo and the decking laid the same way as photo I would go vertical. It ties in with the other lines in your house.

- I'm assuming you mean all the kitchen ie island bench as well?
A horizontal grain can serve to visually lengthen your kitchen as it draws the eye outwards.
Ash, Northern Scotland being one of them

Very wasetful though, as they are very small trees!!
Steve
And Greenough to Geraldton!

http://www.actionhirecars.com.au/13919.htm
andrew_123
so this grain thing depends on which pattern u choose..?

No, In 99% of cases it just depends on what you like the look of.

andrew_123
tell me which way to get it ; horzontal or vertical?? i have no idea which one to choose!!! and i forgot how the display had it!!!

OK, I'll tell you. VERTICLE. Forget about horizontal. Seriously its not a big decision. You'll never look at your kitchen and wish you had choosen the other way.
The fact that you cant remember which way the grain was in the display home proves it aint a big decision. And I'd bet my left *arm* that it was a verticle grain anyway.

If your still unsure, go into your local newsagency and have a quick look thru all the kitchen/home magazines, you'd be lucky to find one kitchen that has a horizontal grain.

When I used to design kitchens I would be lucky to do 1 in 30 kitchens (maybe1 in 50) with a horizontal grain. I'm not saying that it doesnt look good, it the right kitchen it looks great, but the vast majority of kitchens have a verticle grain

Again, Just go with the Verticle grain and you'll never think of it again.

Hope that helps
Shady
And I'd bet my left nut that it was a verticle grain anyway.

**Phoenix**
Shady

I must admit, it’s definitely a man’s saying!

You don’t see woman betting their bits and pieces away!
Michelle
**Phoenix**
Shady

I must admit, it’s definitely a man’s saying!

You don’t see woman betting their bits and pieces away!

Yeah, must admit....I'm quite "attached" to MY BITS & PIECES!!!
Horizontal and Vertical Grains …….

Have a look at these kitchen pictures by Varenna (Poliform). They run the grain horizontally on cabinets and wall panels (shelves etc) and run them vertically on the end panels (islands etc).

For what it's worth, I prefer horizontal grain.
(...and both my nuts)
OK, OK. Post edited to leave my nuts out of it.
Related
12/01/2024
Overhead cupboards.

Building A New House

Hi, Can anyone give me approx. price for overhead cupboards. TIA

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum