Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Comments please on our kitchen cabinets

Page 1 of 1
After 3 long months of renovation, our kitchen is finally going in. I have a few questions to others as to what is normal and acceptable.
Firstly an overview pic of the kitchen.

Now my first question is the close proximity of the drawers to the pantry cupboard. Is this ok or should a space have been placed. On first install the drawers scrapped th pantry. The cabinet maker said all was fine and adjusted things so there is a very narrow space . Is just feel this is a design mistake that they aren't will to correct.

Secondly why are the drawers so short compared to the cabinet size? We were told that this is standard. Just a few comments to guide us would be helpful.

They are still working on installing our very expensive Marcel Qasair extraction system...don't thing they have seen one of these before.

So tired of renovating.
In answer to your first question, based on a consumer response I would not be happy with that. I would have wanted another filler piece between the pantry & the end cabinet to give you that extra 10mm to avoid scrapping. At the moment in our current kitchen our corner panty is on an angle to avoid that happening, but i think the square look is nicer & more modern but I avoided it cause I would be so worried that someone would open that draw with the pantry not closed properly (we have little kids, so it happens still even with the angle). I imagine unless your ultra careful forever that pantry panel will end up with either scratches or chips

As for the drawers, I imagine you're refering to the fact that there seems to be a large gap at the back of the drawer?? I just measured our drawers & from the inside of the back of the carcass to the front to the carcass is 530mm, my drawer measure 500mm front to back so I have approx 30mm gap at the back of my drawers to the carcass. Yours does look like there is a bit of wasted space back there. Not sure what is "standard" though I can only comment on what I have. Are your benchs standard 600mm depth??
Send a pm to cutting edge kitchen guy..I think that is his name to take a look at your thread, he will know.
But I kind of agree with brbp ...it's a little close
Thanks kiwi.

I would always place an 18mm filler between the pantry and drawer unit. If the pantry door doesnt close fully then you will end you scratching the door. Its a mistake forsure.

How deep are you benchtops or cabinets. The gap behind does look larger than normal but might be becuase you have deeper benchtops??

As a guide a standard cabinet is 530mm deep internal and a standard 500mm drawer is used. This gives a 30mm void behind the drawer.

On a positive note the construction of the cabinets looks good and sound.
I agree, a filler between the panty and drawers would be a whole lot better. Your house and kitchen will settle over years, and it wont take much for them to start rubbing. On the drawer depth, these look like they are made out of 16mm melamine? Is this the case? Did the cabinetmaker not use metal sided drawers from blum, Haffele' ect? If he made his own drawers then he could have made them to the depth of the cabinet and not had such a big gap. If the are made by a drawer supplier, than they have set depths.

hope this helps
It does look a nice kitchen.dont know how you would put a filler in now though ??? What could kmcgreg do so she doesn't get scratches? Looks like they won't rip it out and start again cos they say it's ok.

Decals on the scratch if it happens? Kid goes to the orphanage if they don't shut the pantry door properly and open the drawers to get a knife out to butter said bread they just got from pantry and ' boommmm scratch'?

( I said that once, if anyone doesn't use a chopping board on my bench they willbe going to the orphanage . Kids really believed me cos I am not a screamer but I did that day cos someone had!! And they had scratched it. They haven't cut direct ever again!!)
Thanks all for the comments...I can't type much as doing this on my phone as our phone is cut at the moment so no adsl.
Anyway the joiner is going to make drawer panels again with the side closest to the pantry narrower and add a fixed strip as a spacer. It will give us around 10 to 15 mm clearance instead of 2 mm.
Couldn't do much more as the stone is being fitted on Friday.

Generally the kitchen is looking good. There is a vinyl wrap bulkhead being made up that will go in later to reach the ceiling.

This forum provides me peace of mind as we have never renovated before and I am not much of a handy person. Thanks again... The comments provided me with intelligent things to discuss with our builder.
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

20/04/2024
Colour Selection: Comments / Feedback

Building A New House

I am building Enfield 201 by Mimosa Homes - York Facade Link: https://www.mimosahomes.com.au/new-homes/enfield-201/ I did my colour appointment last week. I am looking…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum