Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Wall Ovens - Do you like yours?

Page 1 of 2
Hi Everyone,

So we are currently designing our kitchen and I'm considering going with a wall oven as opposed to a free standing oven (gas cooktop).

For those of you that have a wall oven, do you like it? Would you get it again?
I like the idea of being able to see what's cooking without bending down and also cleaning it while standing up as opposed to cleaning it on your knees.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Thank You
wall ovens are good if you have kids. They also dont produce a lot of heat (outside the unit).
They are also smaller, so they shouldn't use as much electricity to heat up and dont take as long. In my perfect kitchen I would have 2 ovens. One standard ovens and the other one a micro oven that doubles as a microwave.
We have a 900mm under bench oven, however we've just installed an LG SolarDom MV Convection oven (built-in version) in the Microwave tower so it's the same height as a small wall oven. Being a smaller oven it heats up quicker (when you need the convection function) and it also has a cavity cooling fan so the cabinetry doesnt heat up. It's at a good level too as the door opens downwards and it's the same height as the bench next to it.
Hello! This is our configuration ('scuse the dirtiness):

Two x standard 600mm ovens + microwave on top.
Were both reasonably tall, so the microwave isn't too high, but I'm sure it would be a problem for shorter people.
If we were to build again, we'd go for two x 600mm ovens, side-by-side at waist height. (Second oven is only really used when we have people over for dinner).

We were offered the 900mm freestanding, but I don't like the way that food can easily drop down the sides, and I don't see the point in heating up a large oven when ever you want to cook a pie!
We have a 90cm oven that could be installed either underbench or in a wall tower. We have it in the tower and I wouldn't have it any other way. Love having the wider oven for larger items to be cooked.
Are you having a gas cooktop still? Have you ever considered induction electric?
jodge, yes we'll be having a gas cooktop.
I have a wall oven and love it. Being a bit 'older' I don't want to be bending over or on my knees to get stuff in and out of the oven or to clean it. I love the look of under the bench ovens but for practicality, a wall oven suits me better
We have a freestanding at the moment and i agree with B Star its no good with little ones. I am forever stressed that the kids are going to get burnt when I open it up. Also I find the bending down to check and get stuff out a pain. With this build we will be going for 2 60cm wall ovens side by side.
We have a Neff wall oven at home and a Smeg dual fuel stove in our holiday home. I love both for different reasons. The Neff is just about as good as it comes as heats instantly and the temperature is accurate and constant. Mine came with the telescopic rails in the package. I would 100% buy another. The Smeg I love for the gas cooktop. The oven is good but the problem is that I have to heat the whole oven up just to cook/heat something small. For example if I heat a loaf of garlic bread it takes the whole oven. When the microwave needs to be replaced I will buy a convection/microwave combination but in the meantime it is a waste of fuel. the stove generastes much more heat in the room than the Neff wall oven which is something to consider.
Thanks for the all comments so far! It sounds like alot of people get 2 wall ovens?
Are they really that small that you need two? Or are you all just crazy cooks
In wall is great if you are tall also. I'm only 6' 2 (yeah I know, ONLY) but even at my height its great to not have to bend down to get things in and out of the oven all the time. Wife is about 5' 5 and loves it too.

As for 2 ovens, I would love it, but its about the internal space of the ones you choose. The best thing you can do is take your favorite big tray/dish/whatever and see if its fits. I've got a tray that we use for lasagne (makes 12 big serves or 15 small/medium) and I was so thrilled when it slid in the oven with room to spare in the showroom. Instantly said we'll have that one. Our previous oven used to only just fit it.

There are also a couple of companies that make 70cm ovens but I couldn't be swayed from Bosch.
Thanks chrisandkate
I'll also add that I chose to have an oven tower built where the original plan has an under bench oven but that the tower is also built in a way that will allow a second oven to be put in should the need & funds arise. They built a carcass, then built a separate cradle/carriage for the oven to go in then put the panel on the side, then slid the oven in.

All we will lose is 1 pot drawer and we add all pot drawer under the bench where oven was originally meant so it doesn't make much of a difference if it does happen.
I don't like freestanding ovens, I would always manage to drop messy food down the gap between the oven and bench and crap would always bed up underneath it. I have chosen a wall oven as I love my mums, no need to worry about the kids touching and don't have to bend down.

I think the same about stand-alone ovens! Cockroach heaven. . . maybe I'm just living in the past?

I think I'd be a bit unsure about a 70cm oven. . . I had a 1.5 oven type thing in my apartment. . . when it died I had to replace it. . . it was about 15cm taller than a standard 600mm oven, so I had to have a plinth made to sit a new cheapo oven on (as apartment had become a rental). . . I'd hate to have to find a 70cm oven to fit in the gap if the original died. . . what if they became obsolete?
We have 2 wall ovens in a tower with microwave above. We went with Blanco and will be reusing these and induction cooktop in our new build. 2 ovens were something mrs zim wanted and while I may not have thought we really needed 2, I'm glad we did.
they do come in handy. . . don't they doczim?
I would also recommend a wall oven. As mentioned earlier it saves you constantly bending down to take things out of the oven and is safer if you have children.

However in saying that, we are about to renovate and it looks like i will have to get 2 under bench ovens as opposed to 2 wall ovens (one on top of the other or double oven). The main reason is that unfortunately I am short and when I was recently at a friends and had to take something out of top oven, I found that I couldn't reach it.
Tweety - put two side-by-side if you have the space!
Related
29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

8/06/2023
Hello to all of you. Any advice please?

Building A New House

A question. Im in Queensland and building a new home. We managed to reach practical completion 6 weeks ago but we haven't heard any date for handover yet. Who should we…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum