Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Just a quick question -

Our ceiling height is 2700, the kitchen designer designed the cupboards as -
lower - 930 in height
space between overhead and lower cupboards - 650
overhead cupboards - 970 in height
and then a bulkhead of 150.

Someone suggested that the 970 height overhead cupboards would not look good and that we reduce the height of the overhead cupboards by increasing the bulkhead to 300.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.
Did you get some kitchen elevations from your designer?
Rather than a 150 mm bulkhead, make the cupboards go all the way to the ceiling. This way you get a nice clean look. You can use the very top section for stuff you rarely use.
Elevations attached.

Casa2, I'm concerned that the overhead cupboards might look odd if they're 970 in height. Most display homes I have seen have the cupboards around 800-850. If I get rid of the 150 bulkheads, the cupboard height will have to be 970+150!!
The elevations look OK to me. The overall height of the kitchen is sometimes governed by the maximum height of your tall panels (i.e wall oven panels).

If the doors and panels were made out of melamine or thermolaminate (vinyl) then the maximum panel height would be 2400mm. (in most cases)

As you have a 150mm high kick the overall kitchen height would be 2550mm.

The kitchen as shown is fine. In fact, you are maximising your storage space. I see no appreciable visual effect if you decided to reduce the kitchen height by 150mm.

The only problem I see with your kitchen is the lack of bench space. I would be looking to get rid of the appliance cupboard if possible.
Anything renomart has to say about kitchens out-trumps me.

I do agree that the Appliance Roller Door should go. You have little bench space and the appliance cupboard is taking up a lot of it. Just buy some nice looking "appliances" and have them on show.

One nice thing about your kitchen design is that if using Ceaserstone (or similar) then your 2910 x 1431 slab size fits into one Ceaserstone slab, which is 3060 x 1440. Make sure you specify one piece construction for the rear slab. (Yes, I hate those seams in the slab!)

Also, it looks your bench tops are 40 mm thick. If using Ceaserstone (or similar) just beware that it will be two slabs with the lower slab being justa surround. that's why I'm asking for a 30 mm slab (even though I like the idea of a 40 mm slab) since it can only be built in one slab. (Yes, I really hate seams in the slab!!)

How deep is your fridge space. It looks like 600 mm, which may limit the refrigerators that you can use.
Thks for the comments and feedback.

I found a few kitchens online with bulkhead around 300, doesn't look right to me (see attached image). I think I should either stick with 970 high cupboards + 150 bulkhead or >970 high cupboards and <150 bulkhead. Any thoughts?

I have to have a think about the appliance roller door...I like the idea of being able to store the appliances away, but then there is the issue of bench space. Not sure what I will end up doing.

Thks again, heaps appreciated.
I agree, the 300 mm bulkhead looks too much. 150 mm or nil would be better in my book.
Have you considered lowering the ceiling in the kitchen and make it a feature? This is what we'll be doing for our kitchen.
dna, we have a lowered ceiling (also called bulkhead?), but it's only above the island bench.
sandra_canberra
dna, we have a lowered ceiling (also called bulkhead?), but it's only above the island bench.

Well what about extending that your entire kitchen has a lowered ceiling? For us, the area within the red would be lowered to around "standard" 2440.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/ignoramus1979/Kitchen-Laundry-1.jpg

I would post a picture of it if it was completed

So you're saying you're having a bulkhead over the island? I don't see the need for it there.
If we extended the bulkhead all the way through the kitchen (assuming the builder will let us), should we then have the overhead cupboards all the way to the ceiling, or should we still have the additional 150 bulkhead between cupboards and ceiling?
I'd say go all the way to the ceiling. I suppose it also depends on the layout of your house if a lowered ceiling would look right. If it's an open plan design, the ceiling would help define the room.

You would probably want to lower the ceiling by 300 (as I think 150 would be too little and wouldn't be as dramatic) so you would address your concern about the overhead cupboards being too tall.

This kitchen was done in this fashion, unfortunately you cannot see the lowered ceiling though.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/ignoramus1979/103629373cl1164156275.jpg
Here's another example
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/ignoramus1979/2006899278_3_FS.jpg
After looking at our plans again, I have realised that we cannot extend the bulkhead all through the kitchen (see attached image)

I guess we have to stick to the original plan - 150 bulkhead and 970 overhead cupboards.

Thks for all your comments and feedback.
In the words of a wise man ' Don't sweat the small stuff'
After 2 weeks using the new kitchen you'll forget all about what height the wall cabinets/bulkheads are. 970mm is a bloody tall cupboard as most std kitchen manufacturing companies make theirs 720mm high.

I'd agree with every one else, get rid of the appliance cupboard. Its just a place to collect mess.

Make sure that the pot drawers under the wall over are the same height as the pot drawers next to it, they are shown as different height in the elevation

A couple of quick questions... The drawers under and next to the hot plate, i notice that you have 2 pot drawers and I assume a 'normal' 144mm high drawer above the 2 pot drawers, the top drawer may limit you choice of hot plates because some of them are too high and interfere with either the drawer runners and the items you put in your top drawer.

I am assuming that there is a dishwasher under the sink somewhere, If its not located infront of the taller floor cabinets then the panels on the back of the island bench would have to go all the way to the ground or a false kick out on.
Related
12/01/2024
Overhead cupboards.

Building A New House

Hi, Can anyone give me approx. price for overhead cupboards. TIA

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

5/06/2024
Overhead power line cable size

General Discussion

I am looking at replacing some overhead power cable and I am trying to work out what gauge of cable this is so I can price it. The outer edge of the sheath has a diameter…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum