Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kick board around stove.

Page 1 of 1
The stove that is going in our new house has legs and a gap underneath it. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can get a kick board (I am thinking that's what you would call it?) to go around the bottom?
Our oven is a 900 mm Blanco freestanding, as an accessory you can buy a kick plate from them. Maybe contact your oven supplier to see if you can get one.
Alot of the freestanding stoves have legs that will come off. If your legs come off then have the kickboard built straight through underneath the over.

This way the oven sits ontop of the kickboard, the doors will be exactly the same height and you wont have ugly joins in the kickboard.
Just be careful with the above suggestion as some of the manufacturers recommend having free air space at the front of your freestanding stoves. I think that this applies to mostly gas ovens though so just check your manual.
Personally I think the built-in look is much more swish than the gap and I'd get the kitchen maker to do the through kickboard as per CEKs suggestion rather than one that is an oven accessory.

Stewie
totally agree with the kickboard being one continuous piece. I had a semi intergrated dishwasher and the cabinetmaker put a small kickboard on the dishwasher with a join on each side which looked awfull, so made him change to one long piece which looks much better IMO.
Kitchen is already in
so it's a bit late for that! Hopefully can get one like Rups said....
wertmezer
Kitchen is already in
so it's a bit late for that! Hopefully can get one like Rups said....

Its not to late, you could still have a kickboard built between the existing kicks.

The new kickboard face colour would look so much better in the colour of the existing kickboards rather than a tacky oven add on.
So you don't think it will matter if there are joins?
wertmezer
So you don't think it will matter if there are joins?

Not at all. It would look better if there wasnt any joins but it will look much better than anything supplied by the oven company.
For appliances that sit on the floor a full kick is not very practical unless it is fully removable, otherwise having a split kick is the only way you can remove the appliance to service it. So trade off between looks and practicality.
You can AJW , but you usually need to make a plinth for the stove to sit on that is the same height as the kickboard. That way you can just slide it forward for servicing. The biggest problem we've had in the past is making sure you can disconnect the gas connection with this setup.

Stewie
AJW
For appliances that sit on the floor a full kick is not very practical unless it is fully removable, otherwise having a split kick is the only way you can remove the appliance to service it. So trade off between looks and practicality.

Sorry but that is not quite right.

Most ovens that sit on the floor have removable legs. You build a proper kickboard and remove the oven legs.

The oven sits perfectly ontop of the kickboard and doesnt require anything to be moved for service.

Trust me I do them all the time!

I have only come across 2 ovens in 10 years where this didnt work!
Stewie D
The biggest problem we've had in the past is making sure you can disconnect the gas connection with this setup.

Stewie

I normally suggest that the gas point should be in a cabinet beside the oven.

Allows you to connect or disconnect before putting the oven in.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
AJW

Sorry but that is not quite right.

Most ovens that sit on the floor have removable legs. You build a proper kickboard and remove the oven legs.

The oven sits perfectly ontop of the kickboard and doesnt require anything to be moved for service.

Trust me I do them all the time!

I have only come across 2 ovens in 10 years where this didnt work!

Two notes. Firstly I said appliances that SIT on the floor, if you can take the legs off an oven then it is no longer sitting on the floor, so clearly it is possible to build the kick under and in one peice. Secondly the post I was refering to by evo9 was talking about putting a full length board in front of an integrated dishwasher.
AJW
CuttingEdgeKitchens
[quote="AJW
Two notes. Firstly I said appliances that SIT on the floor, if you can take the legs off an oven then it is no longer sitting on the floor, so clearly it is possible to build the kick under and in one peice. Secondly the post I was refering to by evo9 was talking about putting a full length board in front of an integrated dishwasher.

Sure, but most kitchens are built with those silly plastic legs allowing the kickboard to run through under the dishwasher in one piece and still be removed easily.

Most people dont realise that the ovens legs are able to be removed. So many times I have been measuring up wardrobes or vanitites and the owner has asked me a question about there existing kitchen and how to fill in the gap under the oven. I inform them that the legs can be removed and a kickboard put under it and they usually say they wished the origional cabinetmaker had told them. They thought the legs were a part of the oven and there wasnt any other options.
Hi new to the site, can someone advise if it’s okay to use continuous MDF plinth/kick board under a SS free standing range cooker please
Related
7/03/2024
Sydney Water Board Sewer across House

Building A New House

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I misunderstood your point

5/08/2023
Grout tile around spigot?

Paving & Concreting

Thanks splashers, that makes sense. The waterproofing guy used this Davco product, I will raise the issue with builder and hopefully get resolved with him - if not…

20/09/2023
Water around stormwater drain and concrete

Paving & Concreting

Grab a hose, insert it at the top of the inlet/down pipe and turn the water on and see where the water is escaping from. Then you'll know.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum