Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

laminate countertop enquiry

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I am renting a unit, and the landlord installed new kitchen with laminate countertop less than one month now.

Yesterday, I noticed that the dark line in the edge looks bigger; it is a self-edge where it is fully squared and there is a thin dark line . I am going to contact him about that. it is a minor change, but I want to fix it before getting worse.

I want to know is it my fault (consumer fault) or it is manufacturing or designing problem?

the kitchen is small, the sink is near the corner from one side, the other side is only 40 cm, and at the edge of this side is the affected one.
I am trying to keep it dry as much as I can, but it is not possible to dry the surface after each single use of the taps. The taps handles are fixed in the wall, so closing it with a wet hand drops some water on the surface as well.

There is another point, that the stove is installed beside this edge directly, May the heat affect it?
Hi Hoba, welcome to the forum

I'd take photos of the damage and send to the property manager, then let them deal with the owner and what they want to do.

If its only a month old, im sure they would have some sort of warranty with the people they purchased from

Holly
Thank you Holly,

So, I shouldn't be worry from blaming me (as consumer) in some way?
From what it sounds like they have installed square edge laminate tops. These should never be used in a kitchen. The square edge allows moisture into the board which then swells and expands the board and edge.
These are pictures of how it looks like, I sent them today to the property manager.

CuttingEdgeKitchens
From what it sounds like they have installed square edge laminate tops. These should never be used in a kitchen. The square edge allows moisture into the board which then swells and expands the board and edge.

Thanks for your reply,
Could you provide me with a refernce or link forthat advise to use it if needed?
hoba
CuttingEdgeKitchens

Thanks for your reply,
Could you provide me with a refernce or link forthat advise to use it if needed?

Sure no problems at all.
Related
25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

17/10/2023
Hybrid Laminate

General Discussion

We are doing heaps of hybrid at the moment and the cost sits between $60-65/sqm including installation. Stairs are around $90-100 each

25/11/2023
Laminate flooring and curved brick hearth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Just about completed a renovation project and hit a small issue that we didn’t see We have laminate floors now where we had tiles before (turned out it was actually 2…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum