Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Shadowline/fingerpull poly - full length pantry doors help!

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if someone can point me towards an appropriate thread.

We're doing a polyurethane kitchen with stone benchtops and we're going handleless with the fingerpull design. We're having 2 pantries, one 400mm one with 1 door and the other will have double doors, they will both be full length.

The contractor has recommended that we split the doors at the height of the cabinets under benchtop and have the shadowline closure on top of the lower doors and at the bottom of the top doors. Does that make sense?

We're just not sure if we like this idea and whether the streamlined look we are after will be lost. The alternative is the push to open mechanism but he discourages this.

What are your thoughts? If anyone has either of these mechanisms, your opinions would be much appreciated, plus pics if possible.

Thanks,

Becks
I think the builder is right splitting the tall cabinets at the benchtop line

Have a look here...

http://www.google.com.au/images?q=handl ... 80&bih=934
Renomart, is there some benefit in having the doors split at bench height?

It's been suggested to me, too, but I prefer the idea of two full-length doors rather than four half-length ones. My pantry will have handles, and will be 900mm wide, with a fridge beside it. To me it makes more sense to go for the streamlined look of two long doors with one handle on each rather than four doors with four handles. Am I unaware of some special benefit of having the pantry chopped in half at bench height?

I'd really appreciate any advice you have on this.
It all comes down to aesthetics. It's just that me and your builder like that look and you like it the other way!

Thats why I left the Google images link to make up your own mind
Renomart - thanks for that, there are a lot of split pantry doors out there.

Can you have the fingerpull vertically on one side of a single door and in the middle if you have a double door? I can't seem to find any pis of this concept.

Pippi, I don't see why you can't have a full length door if you are having handles.
Doing a project at the moment that has Fingerpull [sharknose] to the tops of all drawers & doors and when it came to the tall pantry door, We have routered a profile 150x20 into the edge of the door that gets 2pac'd out.

looks pretty good, The 2pac guy will have his work cut out for him, but solves your problem.

G
Oh, and this cupboard has 2 doors to it, so the profile is mirrored on the other side.

I have been doing Sharknose fingerpull doorsto kitchens now for the last 4 to 5 years. It must of been published in
one of the architectural mags, because every architect is specifying it. And with the cost of some of the handles out there, it can be a real cost saver.

G
Hi Becks,

This is my parents kitchen, sorry don't have a finished picture, but thought it may help.

They have a full size pantry door with no handles. It looks like it is split at bench height, but it's not, it's a full door.

Hope it helps

Bel
I have two full length doors with vertical stainless steel inset pulls. On the right we have a laundry shute and so the bottom part of the door is fixed and so had to have the split. I decided to get the other side faux split and is not actually separate but looks identical the handle does not part either. I like the long streamlined doors myself.

Our 22 drawers and 10 cabinets are handleless....but our pantry has two slimline handles that match the handle on the oven and microwave.

You don't even notice it and IMHO a much better option than splitting the pantry which I think makes the kitchen look more "busy" than single doors with handles make it. Plus it will drive ou mad not being able to swing open the doors of the pantry and view everything in one hit.
Melrich
Our 22 drawers and 10 cabinets are handleless....but our pantry has two slimline handles that match the handle on the oven and microwave.

that would be my other suggestion.
Related
28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum