Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Walk through pantry

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I have an idea which I would like to put up for discussion.

I would like my traditional country kitchen to have a freestanding oven as centrepiece behind the island bench. On either side I would have doors leading to a walk in pantry ie you can walk through to other side. I have attempted to draw it. Do you think this would work? If I don't have 2 doors I think it might get dark and claustrophobic down the end. It would be 4.5m x 1.5m. I would have a 2nd sink but the fridge would be out in the kitchen on the north wall. The entire kitchen is 4.5 x 4.5m
My pantry is around 5.5m by 1.8m however has no sink in it - solely used for food / small appliance storage. It is very dark when the door is shut - I have two fluoros to light it.

I would be worried it would be too narrow for a sink? My deepest shelves are 450mm and I really wouldnt want anything deeper then that in a space 1.8m wide. You might want to check your depths before plumbing in a sink in 1.5m

Here is photo of mine
@kyton

So how is it living on the set of MasterChef?

Thats a nice pantry. I though mine would be too big considering we didn't really have one before and just used a couple of cupboards for food and eventually added some overheads when our daughter was born.

Now I'm thinking it may not be big enough!
chrisandkate
@kyton

So how is it living on the set of MasterChef?

Thats a nice pantry. I though mine would be too big considering we didn't really have one before and just used a couple of cupboards for food and eventually added some overheads when our daughter was born.

Now I'm thinking it may not be big enough!

I adore my pantry!! I wanted a large pantry and made sure I got one. Everyone who comes over for the first time is amazed when they walk in (we get a lot of "Where are the shopping trolleys?" quips!)

Even though there are no cupboards and everything is out on display I actually prefer it because I never forget where something is and every appliance gets used (not like when they were tucked away in the dark corners of cupboards).
Love the pantry - and those Tuna to Go things are nice aren't they!
No Mapcalla I hate them LOL but our three year old loves them.

Back to the original topic....
I love the design.... makes me think about what type of kitchen pantry I would like.....
Can I ask why you want to put a sink the pantry also have one in the kitchen? Depending on ventilation would having just one sink hidden away be a good idea.... mmmm got me thinking now....
I kind of see the double door thing as a waste of space but having seen the design and understanding the aesthetic look you are going for, understand the aim. However, not sure how good cavity sliders would look in a traditional country kitchen. In some ways if you were to do this I would have no doors at all.
BArker I agree with the aesthetics of sliding doors not fitting in. Instead I would choose no doors or alternatively doors that echoed your cabinetry doors.

The only problem with no doors is your pantry would have to be immaculate the majority of the time & the other biggy for me - having a crawling baby at least with a door I can keep him out. Those tissues and plastic bags call to him as soon as the door is open LOL.
Nice pantry Kyton.

Country Life, I would not do the double door thing. With a double door you lose space and it will drive you mad closing the doors all the time. Spend what you save on really good lighting (like Kytons). I also think the sink in the pantry is a waste...sinks take up a lot of room and you would have to shelve around it and what are you really going to achieve.

Also looking at your plans, if that space is 4.5 metres, you effectively have your fridge nearly 3.5 metres from your sink. That is a long expanse. I would look at a way to bring those closer together because that is probably the most common transit in a kitchen fridge - sink, sink - fridge.
Saloon doors?

Thanks for all your comments. I will go back to the drawing board and have another play.
Not really sure how to get the sink and fridge closer as I need something along the window bench ie sink. Maybe fridge could come over next to sink where one door is. Next to oven. Not sure about that though...
Related
9/04/2024
Proposed walk in linen

Renovation + Home Improvement

Do you really want to accommodate the window? What is on the outside of the window? Do you want to be able to see your towels from outside? I would blank the window from…

21/03/2024
Heated vertical towel rail at the end of a walk-in shower

Bathrooms and Laundry

Electrical just got back to me and said the most they can provide is a single power point on the Bedroom 1 side of that wall. After handover, your towel rail installer…

12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum