Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Do cooktop and oven need to have the same width?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

We are buidling a new house and I am thinking of what cooktop and oven we should get. We are a family of 5 so I think a 900mm cooktop would be better choice for us than a 600mm one. Then I was reading the posts here and found 900mm ovens do not get many good reviews, especially in regards of wasted energy and wasted space.

Our new kitchen will be quite small and it does not allow the space for wall oven(s).

So my question is, do 900mm cooktop and 900mm rangehood match a 600mm/750mm oven? If they have to be the same width, then I guess I will have to choose a 600mm cooktop.

Opinions please....
No no Jessica
rangehoods are installed according to the type and size of cooktop to be installed for instance induction requires a more powerful rangehood say 900 cm3 or 1800 cm3 whilst gas you can install less powerful say 6000 cm3 but if 900mm you may need a twin fan rangehood to cover the whole area.
Cooktops bear no relationship with oven size especially if pyrolitics are used which by standards are relatively small ovens this is the reason few sell as double ovens which in my opinion is a rip off.
900mm oven are not very reliable when it comes to even heating that is why you may choose to go for a smaller or narrower oven yet larger net capacity say 68 litres there are few I say few.

Good luck
My parents have a 900 wide cooktop and a 600 wide underbench oven below it. It looks fine. You do need to match the rangehood to the cooktop width/requirements though.
Yep, as above

Oven size does not affect cooktop size, with the exception of aesthetics (which is a personal preference anyway)
we have a 900mm cooktop and 600mm oven and it looks fine (pics on page 1 or 2 of the show me your kitchen thread). as long as the oven is centred under the cooktop it looks fine IMO. but yes do make sure your rangehood is the same size as your cooktop
thanks everyone!

I'm so happy... one problem solved. I will definately go for 900mm cooktop and 600mm oven!
Why not try 900mm cooktop and two 600mm ovens:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37250&hilit=two+ovens
room4acubby
Why not try 900mm cooktop and two 600mm ovens:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37250&hilit=two+ovens

We do not have space for wall ovens at all... small kitchen.
As has been mentioned numerous times, they have no relation to each other as they are seperate units most cabinet sizes are more suited to the 600 wide oven.

We prefer the 900 wide cooktop also but have found that the 600 oven fits better in relation to the cupboard door sizing in a bench installation.
Hi Jessica,
We have gone for a 600mm oven, 750mm cooktop & a 900mm rangehood.

Regards.
PS - Don't take any notice of the fridge in this shot please

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/benschke/Kitchen-Living/New%20Kitchen/IMG_0636.jpg
Related
25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

20/01/2024
Roof Load Width Needed

Renovation + Home Improvement

Any structural alteration to your home requires building permit. Before you get it you will have to supply plans with structural assessment, you will also be removing…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum