Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Join in Ceasar island bench top

Page 1 of 3
Hi,

This is my first post. I need advice with join in Ceasar stone island bench top.

We are building Grandview 36 with M*** in NE suburb and tomorrow is our settlement date. However, we are not happy with the join of our kitchen bench top . The gap between the join is so obvious (about 4-5mm), we did point it out to our site manager but he said that it's normal

We went back to the display homes that weekend to have another look, guess what ? none of the bench tops at the display homes have that big gap like the one we have

Does anyone have the same problem with us?

M customer service said that we have to settle payment tomorrow and they
will fix it later? What can we do? Please help!!!

Thank you kindly for your reply.
Welcome Isabelle………

I would expect to see a bad join in laminate not stone work.

Put your foot down, go back and take photos of the display home you looked at, present them to your site manager, tell him THIS is what it should look like!!!!

Fix it……NOW!!!!

I would love to see the look on his face!!

We have yet AGAIN, a very lazy attitude to work and care……I really hope you get it resolved, if your not happy, tell them.

Welcome aboard!!!
STAND FIRM and hold off the payment until you are happy with the workmanship.
Your choice, but who is to say that you are going to be happy with the "fix" anyway. Makes ure that it is done and when you are happy, settle and pay then, but not before you are comfortable and happy with their workmanship. It could be months before they gat back to "fix it"

Sorry just my 2 cents worth.
Can we hold off payment until they fix our bench top? M customer service said that they HAVE TO handover our house tomorrow because they have put a range hood & washing machine in the house.
It's called the standoff - who wants what more?

If you want the bench fixed - then hold the payment - if you want the hosue more - then pay the bill and live with it.
You know which one you're hapy with.

My choice would be to not pay till the bench is fixed - kitchens are focus points of a house these days - and nights

It all comes down to the other parts of you're life at present too - ie renting - move out move in dates etc etc.
Steve
Isabelle, i'm sorry but that is their problem if they have to put in the rangehood and washer in tomorrow. At the end of the day, it is your choice, but are you going to be happy if they delay the repair and you are not happy with their job that they do in the end...
A 4-5mm join is most definatly not normal.

I would be very very unhappy with it my kitchen. The join should be no bigger than 2mm.

Stand you ground. Its not that hard for them to fix it.
Isabelle,

Yes, 4-5 mm is certainly a large (and unacceptable) gap. However, looks can be deceiving. When you measure the gap, what is it?

Cheers,
Casa

P.S. I hate the gaps between Ceaserstone slabs. Surely there's a way of butting them together with no (or very little) gap/filler. If someone manages to do it, they'll get a lot of business.
M customer service said that if we don't settle payment
on time, they will charge us for penalty, can they do that
Isabelle
M customer service said that if we don't settle payment
on time, they will charge us for penalty, can they do that

What does your contract say regarding settlement of payments?
Isabelle, i would recommend that you elevate this issue up to Metricon management. See what they have to say. Also what is the "penalty"?
I've checked our contract with M******* there is no such "penalty" charge.
Isabelle,

This is really not acceptable.

A 4-5mm join is NOT AT ALL normal.

Caesarstone is capable of being joined with less than 1mm gap, and even then the join should be barely perceptible - the notice-ablity of the join will depend on whether you have a light or dark top - on some of the very light colours there might be a bit of a "shadow" visible.

If you want to see a good example of how Caesarstone can be joined just walk into any McCafe and have a look at their counter - you probably won't even be able to find the join.

There is no reason why you should have a visible join of such disturbing presence - if you don't get any happiness with your builder it can always be worthwhile getting in touch with Caesarstone directly - they are in a position to have a "chat" with the supplier of the stone.

Cheers,

Earl
Isabelle how did you go today? What ended up happening?
We have not settle our final payment as yet. We'll go back and have another look at the bench top tomorrow morning. I'll definitely bring my camera and take some photos of that horrible bench top which we have paid for $3702.
Isabelle,

Can you also measure the gap, or put a ruler in the photograph.

4 to 5 mm is not a gap, it's a chasm.

Cheers,
Casa
I've just been to our new house this morning, they had cleaned and filled the gap, it looks ok now (but it still show the joint!!!).
Thank you for all your wonderfull support.

Isabelle
Isabelle can you show us a photo?
Hi Phoenix,

I'm @ work at the moment, I'll post a picture this evening.
Hi,

Can someone please show me how to post a photo here
Related
31/01/2024
Bench top chipped

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

These can be easily filled and repaired and it doesn't cost them much to do. Id get the builder to do this first and if the repair is not suitable then a replacement is…

14/09/2023
Bench top overhang on the side

Laundry

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.

7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum