Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen feature window behind cooktop - keeping it clean?

Page 1 of 1
Our home is having a feature window along the benchtop in the kitchen. This benchtop also inlcudes the gas hotplates. Is the window practical considering it is behind the hotplates. If we were to have a glass splashback, it would be closer to the hotplates, but probably easier to clean - or does it really matter. Just wondering if anyone with these feature windoes could share their experiences. Do you feel exposed having such a large window while you're cooking, etc?
We have a window behind our cook top in current house & unfortunately it is a real pain to keep clean. If possible i would raise the window at least 500mm & have tiles/splashback between window & cook top, much easier to wipe down & keep clean & still maintain natural light.
Use your bbq.

I'm serious - I hate cleaning our glass splashback and make my husband cook on the bbq as often as possible.
No pots and pans either.
I have heard from friends who have a window close to their gas hob that it's a real pain when the window is open and they are trying to maintain a low flame... keeps going out!

Also, not sure what to make of it, but one kitchen designer here in Brissie told us that we could not have a gas hob w/in 30cm of a window, as it would be against (council?) regulations - fire hazard...
I have a window splashback and dont find it any hassle keeping it clean. I use all my enjo products I bought at Donut's party
and its so easy.

Mrs B
Mrs B
I have a window splashback and dont find it any hassle keeping it clean. I use all my enjo products I bought at Donut's party
and its so easy.Mrs B

+1...though I don't use enjo products....just window cleaner & then microfibre cloth
Hi Mrs B + Southies,

I'm also considering putting a window splashback behind a gas stove.
Some people are saying that cleaning it is a nightmare and may scratch the glass. Also that if you only clean the middle section (ie just behind stove) you will be able to see the wipe marks.

I have seen your post where you say you have no trouble keeping it clean - but would you recommend it?
& have you seen any signs of scratches on the glass?

Thanks.
Southies
Mrs B
and its so easy.Mrs B

+1...though I don't use enjo products....just window cleaner & then microfibre cloth

I am the same as Mrs B and Southies. I have the window splashback and don't find it difficult to keep clean. That said I am not a very creative cook, I mostly just steam vegies! As with everything it is much easier to clean as you go rather than leave things to get grimey.
As for feeling exposed, we have our swimming pool outside this window. It is lovely to look out at it while cooking. The big downfall of the window is the salt residue on the outside from people splashing in the pool.
No regrets whatsoever having the window splashback.
Yes, it does get dirty especially when I cook spag bol
, but the same would have happened if I had a wall there.

We have a fence opposite the window with neighbours on the other side, so we have no issues with security.

I love it!
Related
19/11/2023
Expertise on keeping large pavers in place driveway

Renovation + Home Improvement

Appreciate that Chippy. I won’t do sand under pavers and will connect all up under pavers, however I was going to do: 1) Roadbase compacted with manual hand tamper 2)…

14/03/2024
Junk left behind in an old house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Hi, just discovered all these junks left behind under the floor. Could any of these be asbestos? Best to leave as it is or clean up? Thank you for your thoughts

4/05/2024
Thickening a wall with two different types of walls behind

General Discussion

I might be misunderstanding.... but I would be more inclined to cut a section out from the cinder block wall and place the cistern in the cinder block wall. Very messy job…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum