Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

WOOD FLOORS UNDER APPLIANCES

Page 1 of 1
HI there,

I have just had most of my new kitchen installed. But I just had the most awful thought - my cabinets are the standard 900 high. My freestanding oven is 900 high

The cabinets have been installed directly on the concrete.

So my question is, when I get my solid floor in, will my oven be placed on top of that - therefore wont my oven end up higher than the bench top?????
Hi Angelblue,

When they're installing your floor you can request that they don't cover the space left for your cooker and that way you can install the cooker directly onto the concrete floor. Some cookers come with a detachable kickboard that once installed you won't see the concrete/underneath the cooker.

hope that helps!
I have thought of that, however my concern is...what happens if I need to get my cooker repaired they are going to have a devil of a time trying to get it out. Not to mention they may dmage my solid wood floor in the process. Thats why I though it would be better to have it sitting on top of the wood.

I am not sure what they are going to do, but at present the kitchen company dont want to do anything about it.
Is your benchtop on yet....will that give it any extra height.
no bench top is not on yet. I dont really want to get it on yet until I can get this resolved. I just dont understand why the kitchen company didn't tell me about this legislation in WA where the cook top has to be 10mm above bench top. If I had've known that I would done the design alot differently, Or picked a different oven.
Most cookers have adjustable legs, some even can have their legs removed and placed on your own platform, eg. a wooden block. What brand is your stove?
Ditto above, the oven should have height adjustable legs for this very reason.
Also, out of curiosity, is this ruling in WA applied to laminate kitchens or stone top kitchens?

If there is one piece of advise to all doing a kitchen, its this - dont cut corners by not flooring the entire room. It saves time and headaches trust me on this one. All the building companies do it to save on money without any consideration to the potential owner/buyer. Always ask your kitchen company or installer to floor the lot!
Jaeger - I have purchased a MAYTAG MFC900IX 900mm free standing oven. I am certain it doesn't have adjustable legs.

Smartpack - that's a good question I am not sure. I only heard about this when I queried with the kitchen company about whether they had made allowances for the floor. BUt I am going to call my local shire tomorrow an find out for sure.
The Australian/New Zealand Standards for Kitchen Assembly and Installation 4386.1 + .2 makes it clear that for Gas Cooktops, "If the periphery of any gas burner is less than 200mm from a combustible horizontal surface, this surface must be a minimum of 10mm below the cooktop hob."

This applies throughout Australia.

Cheers,

Earl
I knew about the 200mm rule but not the 10mm rule, thanks earl
Combustible surface. See that makes me think just laminate & wood. However I am sure they would just mean any surface material...right??
oh may have a little good news on the subject. I called a few wood flooring places and they all told me the same thing. If the concrete flooring is even & the moisture content (or something to that effect) is ok, they could do the direct stick method. Which according to them is the most popular way of installing solid wood floors.

Which means I would no longer be 20mm too high, I could be looking at only 2mm instead. But need to check out the products first. Dont want to get too excited
Related
16/11/2023
Plaster meets wood - how to fill

Building A New House

yeah i couldnt picture it issue either, but i could clearly picture what they were doing wrong haha

25/09/2023
Epoxy floors in living area

General Discussion

That would be great -Thank you.

14/03/2024
Soundproofing between floors in wooden house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

To reduce noise transfer without compromising the aesthetic of your exposed I beams, consider filling the 100mm gap between the I beams and the floor above with dense,…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum