Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Diamond Gloss cupboards?

Page 1 of 1
We have prestart in a few weeks and we'd like to use Laminex Diamond-Gloss on our kitchen cupboards.

However my builder just informed me that we can't use DG, and I haven't been told why.
Is there a technical limitation I don't about?

We can use it on our benchtop however.

Any ideas?
Hi there,

This may help you a little in your search for a reason. We wanted to use particular laminates gloss and
also Diamond Gloss's on cabinet doors and this was the answer. They didnt say it could not be done in the
gloss instance, but mentioned it would cost quite a bit more.

"They use a 16mm prefinished board to make the doors out of, where they cut and edge the product. The cabinetmaker would be hand laminating every door and drawer front. Unfortunately there is not an option of finish with the 16mm board."

So they main answer was many of your default laminates come in this prefinished board they use for doors and cupboard faces. Not all of these new gloss laminates are available in the prefinished boards. Other option many go for in that case is 2pak painted finish.

Ozz
As said above it is a matter of using pre coated melamine board versus hand laminating - hand laminating is the way it USED to be done, which is why so many people still think doors and boards are laminate...they are NOT, the 16mm board has the coloured melamine bonded to it when it is made then the doors and drawers are cut from it and finished with a matching edge strip.

There are a couple of manufacturers providing a semi gloss finish in melamine now, most notably the "Sheen" range from Polytec - this finish is a very good alternative to high gloss two pack or gloss laminated boards.

Polytec have also recently released their new range of Createc boards which are finished with a high gloss.
From what I understand (but don't quote me on this) the Createc uses 18mm coloured melamine which is then coated in a high gloss resin, giving it a very strong lustre.

Both of these options provide durable and good looking boards that can be considered as viable options to other more traditional gloss finishes.

Cheers,

Earl
We wanted so badly to put a gloss finish on doors. It can be done in some colours
as they have this in the prefinished 16mm board. Warm White gloss (formica) i think was one.

Ended up going Snowdrift Pearl finish instead. I think in one thought with a super gloss door you
would be forever wiping smear marks off them.
I swear I saw this in the Kitchen Connection showroom in CAringbah yesterday. I was just passing by & popped in to look at their stone tops & there was a kitchen display with FULL gloss doors on all of the cupboards.
It is possible.
Yes it's possible, but not in the 'Diamond Gloss' Laminex range, which our benchtops will be covered in.

I have been told an alternative is a 'gloss vinyl wrap door' that is $120 a door

Thanks for the info guys
Related
3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

15/01/2024
Black gloss enamel

General Discussion

This link might answer your question. I had the same issue and it turned out to be the roller. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painti ... %20coating.

12/01/2024
Overhead cupboards.

Building A New House

Hi, Can anyone give me approx. price for overhead cupboards. TIA

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum