Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Opinions please

Page 1 of 1
As can be seen from previous posts the Builders have had lots of problems getting the correct basins installed. They now have the correct ones in place but we are not really happy with the thick ring of sealant around the bottom where the basin sits on the bench! When we have seen these displayed there has been no visible sealant and there is non shown in the manufacturers brochure! We are of a mind to ask the Builder to remove this sealant and will not accept this level of workmanship. What do you all think? Are we being reasonable? What looks better to you with or without sealant?

Sorry I cannot post pictures here but you can see them here:-
http://martyme-ourhome.blogspot.com/

All your opinions would be greatly appreciated
I wouldn't be happy with the job they've done. I would ask them to remove the sealant (which shouldn't be white anyway) and do it like the brochure. It's probably easier to remove the sealant soon after it's first applied, so I'd get on to them in the morning.

Judie
Thanks for your opinion Judie,yeah we're really not happy and concerned that removing the sealant will reveal a poor cutout job in the caesar stone and if this is so then replacement benchtop will cause even more delays
Definitely not good enough !
Poor workmanship !!
I wouldn't be happy with that. I wonder how they seal them though if they don't do it like that? Manufacturers pic is probably just sitting in the benchtop.
brittany
I wouldn't be happy with that. I wonder how they seal them though if they don't do it like that? Manufacturers pic is probably just sitting in the benchtop.

Hi Brittany, this basin has a flat ridge http://www.caroma.com.au/products/index.html( Model Leda Vasque Inset Vanity Basin)
so that the sealant is hidden from view
hi martyme,

yes I would definitely get them to re-do it as per their brochure.
they are lovely basins, that sealant around the edge just makes them look bulky and awkward though.
donuts
hi martyme,

yes I would definitely get them to re-do it as per their brochure.
they are lovely basins, that sealant around the edge just makes them look bulky and awkward though.

Yes we will definately get them to instal as per manufacturers instructions, just hope it does not delay completion (according to SS the basin issues have already delayed us 4 weeks)!
I can't see how they can use basin issues as an excuse to hold you up. Grrrr!!
Martyme, mine has been installed exactly the same as yours and it does look ugly!
braveheart
Martyme, mine has been installed exactly the same as yours and it does look ugly!

Hi braveheart, we had our walk through yesterday with Kevin from New Home Inspections and it is true to say that there was not any one area of the house that was sufficiently completed for us to be happy with and willing to sign off on
! I pointed out the basins to Kevin along with a printout of the manufacturers instructions regarding installation and he will be making it an item on his report. he did say that he had seen it done this way before but personally agrees it looks poor. SS claims that this is the industry standard. We told him that we would not be accepting this to which he said (without rancour) that he would refer it to his manager for a descision. I suggest that if your not happy with yours (I assume you have the same basins) that as the manufacturer has specifically specified how basins should be installed then you should insist that this be the case.

Good luck!!
Hi martyme

We had a meeting with SS and BM on site yesterday. Although it was a positive and productive meeting as our main concerns/issues were addressed we were told handover will not be before x-mas but around mid-Feb. We have come to terms with the waiting period and are now set to celebrate another x-mas in our small rental unit. We raised our concerns about the installation of basin in ensuite (same like yours) and the SS stated that it was done according to the manufacturers standard. Do you have the manufacturer's brochure? We might have to raise this issue with the installer/cabinetmaker to get his opinion. Ensuite photos: http://quarterdeck26.blogspot.com/

Have you had any progress regarding issues raised during walk through? Any hope of handover before x-mas?
braveheart
Hi martyme

We had a meeting with SS and BM on site yesterday. Although it was a positive and productive meeting as our main concerns/issues were addressed we were told handover will not be before x-mas but around mid-Feb. We have come to terms with the waiting period and are now set to celebrate another x-mas in our small rental unit. We raised our concerns about the installation of basin in ensuite (same like yours) and the SS stated that it was done according to the manufacturers standard. Do you have the manufacturer's brochure? We might have to raise this issue with the installer/cabinetmaker to get his opinion. Ensuite photos: http://quarterdeck26.blogspot.com/

Have you had any progress regarding issues raised during walk through? Any hope of handover before x-mas?

Hi Braveheart,
You can download the pictures and installation details here
http://www.caroma.com.au/products/index.html look under ( Model Leda Vasque Inset Vanity Basin)

Some of the issues are being addressed but it looks doubtfull that we will be in before Xmas. The heavy rain over the weekend revealled a leak in the roof which resulted in the kitchen being flooded. Tiler was out today fixing it. Just another thing to cause delays.
i have noticed that some basins will be cheaper if the installation of the goods is tricky!! Also works the otherway in that the expensive ones may have a simply installation technique!! Just an observation

It sux when this happens and we have learned through building our own home that customisations rarely work 100% of the time.
Related
20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

17/10/2023
Advice please

General Discussion

That's really interesting! Thanks

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum