Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Matt Black Kitchen .. Options

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys

Hoping to do Matt Black Kitchen (under and overhead cupboards).

Options were:
- Matt Black, UltraMatt Black, Venette Black
** Out of three above, if i was to jump from Matt to Ultramatt or Vennette ... would there be a significant cost difference?

Also another option that came to mind was Polyurethane in Satin or Matt Black.

Goal is to be able to show least fingerprints, and ease in cleaning them off.
I know non would be 100% fingerprint resitant....

Inspiration of Kitchen shown:

Thank you!
akky
Hi Guys

Options were:
** Out of three above, if i was to jump from Matt to Ultramatt or Vennette ... would there be a significant cost difference?

Thank you!

i have a mostly black kitchen. All these products show fingerprints significantly despite how they are marketed and all take effort to clean/keep clean. There's lots of things working against you, including the dark colour. It is what it is. Having a Black kitchen comes with extra maintenance of you want it to look like it does in pictures every day. You get used to it.

Couple of things to help - Make sure the handles you chose give you enough surface to not accidentally touch the cabinets. Also id go brass handles over a matt black. Even if i keep the face of teh cabinets free of fingerprints, teh black matte handles i have are always fingerprinty. Really really annoying. Again, you get used to it..

If you go down the caeserstone black tempal route for benchtop, note that this surface also is a pain in the a$$ to keep looking fingerprint/spot free. When you clean it down, you will see all the marks, however was it dries, these tend to "disappear". takes some getting used to not "scrubbing" them away wehn you dont need to .

I also recommend having your cabinet carcass made from Black instead of white melamine- The white carcass shows through the panel lines. You get used to it, but its one major things id do different next time. The cost to do so shoudlnt be a huge difference either, so dont let them try to rip you off. How unique and glassy would black carcasses look?!

If you like the stone splash back, just note you will need to have to either have an induction cooktop or have the gas appliance significantly far enough away from the splash back, which makes it looks wierd. Aparently the engineered stones are flamable lol
ponzutwo
akky
Hi Guys

Options were:

Thank you!

i have a mostly black kitchen. All these products show fingerprints significantly despite how they are marketed and all take effort to clean/keep clean. There's lots of things working against you, including the dark colour. It is what it is. Having a Black kitchen comes with extra maintenance of you want it to look like it does in pictures every day. You get used to it.

Couple of things to help - Make sure the handles you chose give you enough surface to not accidentally touch the cabinets. Also id go brass handles over a matt black. Even if i keep the face of teh cabinets free of fingerprints, teh black matte handles i have are always fingerprinty. Really really annoying. Again, you get used to it..

If you go down the caeserstone black tempal route for benchtop, note that this surface also is a pain in the a$$ to keep looking fingerprint/spot free. When you clean it down, you will see all the marks, however was it dries, these tend to "disappear". takes some getting used to not "scrubbing" them away wehn you dont need to .

I also recommend having your cabinet carcass made from Black instead of white melamine- The white carcass shows through the panel lines. You get used to it, but its one major things id do different next time. The cost to do so shoudlnt be a huge difference either, so dont let them try to rip you off. How unique and glassy would black carcasses look?!

If you like the stone splash back, just note you will need to have to either have an induction cooktop or have the gas appliance significantly far enough away from the splash back, which makes it looks wierd. Aparently the engineered stones are flamable lol

Wow thanks so much.

I was hoping to go for the Domino Dulux Matt Polyurethane look. It’s not too dark, and I figured the fingerprint issue you can’t avoid either way.. no matter what option you pick.

Would you happen to know roughly how much % cost it would add to the total (eg 30% ?) by doing entire black carcasses for the cabinets?
akky
ponzutwo
akky
Hi Guys

Options were:

Thank you!

Wow thanks so much.

I was hoping to go for the Domino Dulux Matt Polyurethane look. It’s not too dark, and I figured the fingerprint issue you can’t avoid either way.. no matter what option you pick.

Would you happen to know roughly how much % cost it would add to the total (eg 30% ?) by doing entire black carcasses for the cabinets?

I asked this question of one of the forum's resident cabinet makers who may/may not wish to identify himself to answer other questions if he sees this, but the rersponse i got from them when i asked the same questions is below. I figured the copy/paste would be fine.

I price all my jobs on actual material so I can't give you a percentage upgrade price.
It would all depend on how many sheets are used.
A single sheet of white carcass is $45+
A single sheet of black carcass is $80+
That is for MR particle board.
Prices come down when we are buying packs but that gives you an idea of the difference.
Labour and edging is obviously going to all be the same price so really it just comes down to the additional sheet cost.
If you have 20 sheets in a average kitchen I'd probably charge an extra grand for the job just because you can, but it would only be costing $7-800.
Robes can use a lot of sheet even though they aren't as technical as a kitchen so the upgrade may seem a greater proportion of overall cost.

As soon as you go to a coloured MDF board the price really ratchets up so if you are chasing the smoother melamine finish that comes on MDF then the material cost is almost double that of the black carcass.
Black hardware (hinges, drawers) can be more as well so there could be an additional cost for that as well.
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

10/12/2023
Small black specks appearing on new white Caesar Stone

Kitchen Corner

Thankyou for your advice. We do have Caesar coming out and hopefully resolve the issue for us.

15/01/2024
Black gloss enamel

General Discussion

This link might answer your question. I had the same issue and it turned out to be the roller. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painti ... %20coating.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum