Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Hidden Water Leak in Kitchen

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I have a hidden water leak in my kitchen,
What is the best way to go about finding the source of the leak and rectifying it?
The Leak was first visible from the outside of the building from the mineral buildup on the brickwork.
The wet patch on the brick wall is directly behind where the sink and dishwasher is, so i pulled out the dishwasher and found the gyprock is water damaged.
The bottom rag stuffed between the dishwasher cavity and sink base cabinet is also damp,but there is no water on the shelves or anywhere under the sink.

Your first call should be to your insurance company. When you talk to them, try not to use the word 'leak' and instead use the word 'burst'. "I think there's a burst pipe that's causing damage".

Although this would appear to be a slow leak instead of a sudden burst they'll work out what you are covered for. Slow leaks usually aren't covered, sudden bursts are. They may still cover the damage to the walls/cabinets but not cover the source of the leak.

They will likely cut into the gyprock behind the dishwasher to investigate. Looks like a leaking pipe in that wall.
Related
7/09/2023
Leak in wall new house

General Discussion

If you make sure all taps inside and out are turned off, what does the water meter show if you leave it for a while.

8/10/2023
Bathroom Leak

General Discussion

Hi all, I am hoping someone has some ideas as to what is causing my bathroom leak. The leaking appears to mainly happen when we turn the sink basins on. It takes a while…

9/01/2024
Leak through concrete after putting frames up

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you doing this with a building permit? Conversion of a non habitable room into a habitable room requires building permit.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum