Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Benchtop Caesarstone versus Granite

Page 5 of 7
seems most like Granite
I had a meeting with our designer today. She had granite, man-made stones and MARBLE on view for our kitchen benchtop

I much prefer the look of marble over anything and recently saw a beautiful kitchen display with a combination of 2 marbles... and she said she is using marble in her own kitchen in her new build.
Well I was very shocked! As much as I would love to use it though I will be steering clear of it, at least for this house. Maybe the next one once the kids have all left home...
To me Caesarstone imitates terrazzo rather than a slab stone like granite or marble. It has a different look altogether to natural stones. Me, I like neither natural stone or Caesarstone types - too cold and hard to the touch. Just as well we're all different - how boring would the world be otherwise?
Speaking for myself, I would tend to stay away from marble as it stains quite easily. Marble is porous and is also etched easily by any acids.
Manmade stone can be quite monotonous as nothing can duplicate the beauty and vairablity of nature.
Granite is a better options among the natural stone as it is less porous than marble - some say it is impervious to liquids - but you would need some technical data to make a decision.

Let me tell you my expereinces with stone.
I have a beautiful kitchen island and bench top made out of Essa Stone (manmade).Sure , it looks great , but everytime I cut something on it , I wonder as to whether the top will get marred or chipped or what not.
In my previous house, I had laminate - again a very nice looking laminate. I had not installed it and the people whom we bought it off had installed it about 6 years ago. I lived in the house for 10 years - that is 16 years in total. Believe me when I say that I had no issues at all with wondering if something should happen to it as it is qutie cheap to re-install. Also, we have 2 kids and they hav done some serious work on this table - no problems at all. We were very happy using this as our kitchen top.

In fact, we are building again and guess what !? We have decided to go back to Laminate with Post formed edges - simply unbeatable.

What did I learn from this ? - If you are comfortable with using something on a daily basis with out having that nagging feeling , then go for that product instead of "Upgrading" and being wary about daily use.

My 2 cents....
Please, please dont go marble in your kitchen!

You will regret it!!!

I have a marble dining table and granite benches.

You cant begin to imagine how much and how easily marble stains.
Truly unless you have it you wont understand.

Some things stain immediately like lemon, and for some reason apple juice or anything with apple. If it hits the surface it will etch or stain and looks terrible. Even if you wipe it straight away its too late.

Granite takes alot more and does not stain nearly as easily.

If you are interested I will post some pictures of my dining table.
inamet09
Please, please dont go marble in your kitchen!

You will regret it!!!

I have a marble dining table and granite benches.

You cant begin to imagine how much and how easily marble stains.
Truly unless you have it you wont understand.

Has your marble been sealed and, if so, was it a penetrating sealer?
Hi Wally,
Granite and marble are both very porous. If you are considering a reconstituted stone such as Caesar Stone then i think you will be happier in the long term. Unlike natural stones (which I agree are beautiful) reconstituted stones are less likely to stain as easily as they are less porous. I wouldn't prepare foods directly onto either, again due to porosity, but also as someone else said you will blunt your knives and will have to have benches resealed far too often. Resealing is a messy job and creates a very fine dust which gets into everything. Perhaps also look at solid surfaces like Corian or Staron. These are completely non porous, so much so they were first used in commercial food prep areas and surgical areas.
Im thinking it maybe was not sealed

Wish I had asked..
Marble is normally sealed with xylene or acetone as the solvent.
I'd consider using a wax sealer... a food grade carnuba is good
^Onc, wouldn't you need to keep re-applying wax? I don't have marble ('though I think Calacatta marble is the most divine benchtop in the world), but if I did I would think that a 15 yr penetrating sealer like Aqua Mix Sealers' Choice Gold would be what they'd use. I have basalt floors throughout my house & this is what they used.
As a new user, greatly appreciate your patience.

I have always been put off granite by reports of radioactivity. It was first presented to me by a scientist friend. On searching for info on the net, there doesn't seem to be a lot of validated information out there, but that could be because of interested lobbying. The consensus seems to be that granite mined in specific areas, or of a certain dark green variety(probably because of the area it comes from) have higher level of uranium content. Would anyone familiar with these claims care to comment?

I have recently come across a high pressure golssy laminate (durogloss?) that presents as stone. Does anyone have any experience with this product?
skyfish
It was first presented to me by a scientist friend. On searching for info on the net, there doesn't seem to be a lot of validated information out there, but that could be because of interested lobbying.

Perhaps you should ask your friendly scientist (geologist, i hope)? I would think there was far more to be gained commercially by the large stone composite manufacturers re-telling this story. The possibility that the many disparate quarries/distributors of stone somehow have somehow organised for government agencies to turn a blind eye to radioactive benchtops seems quite implausible.

skyfish
The consensus seems to be...

There is a lack of correlation between 'consensus' and not 'a lot of validated information.' I'm neither a geologist nor a stone wholesaler so I can't invalidate your concerns; but I approach such sensationalist stories with a large dose of scepticism.
It was on channel 7 news this morning, talking about radiation including granite bench tops. He said it's all as harmless as a book.
boschpc
Hi Wally,
Granite and marble are both very porous. If you are considering a reconstituted stone such as Caesar Stone then i think you will be happier in the long term. Unlike natural stones (which I agree are beautiful) reconstituted stones are less likely to stain as easily as they are less porous. I wouldn't prepare foods directly onto either, again due to porosity, but also as someone else said you will blunt your knives and will have to have benches resealed far too often. Resealing is a messy job and creates a very fine dust which gets into everything. Perhaps also look at solid surfaces like Corian or Staron. These are completely non porous, so much so they were first used in commercial food prep areas and surgical areas.

Why would re-sealing create dust
maybe i'm not doing something right with our granite.
Resealing ours after 1 1/2 yrs,all you do is wipe it over with the stuff
I don't mean to alarm or sentsationalise, but just query what is out there.

Let me clarify - what is not validated is whether the radiation does any harm (measurable or not). What the consensus is about is that granite "does" emit both alpha and gamma radiation. Some granite types emit more gamma, which is the dangerous type.

The mining lobby is very strong in India and China where the granite mostly comes from. And it is here that these claims can be better studied, rather than the wide range of houses that the bench tops are installed in where other factors come into play. It does not sound at all impossible to me that the mining lobby has a powerfull voice in these countries.

No my mate is not a geologist, but he has considerable standing in his chosen field, and not generally known to spout conspiracy theories.
skyfish
I don't mean to alarm or sentsationalise, but just query what is out there.

Let me clarify - what is not validated is whether the radiation does any harm (measurable or not). What the consensus is about is that granite "does" emit both alpha and gamma radiation. Some granite types emit more gamma, which is the dangerous type.

The mining lobby is very strong in India and China where the granite mostly comes from. And it is here that these claims can be better studied, rather than the wide range of houses that the bench tops are installed in where other factors come into play. It does not sound at all impossible to me that the mining lobby has a powerfull voice in these countries.

No my mate is not a geologist, but he has considerable standing in his chosen field, and not generally known to spout conspiracy theories.

Actually, i think that it's fairly clear that background alpha radiation is everywhere and is not harmful. It is in the soil, rocks and therefore the water supply. Most radon in US houses is said by the EPA to come from the dirt tracked in on people's shoes. I think this is probably the least of their potential health issues. If you are really worried about gamma radiation i suggest keeping your bones safe enough that you never need x-rays (same radiation but many times greater than any background levels). I would also make sure you avoid flying, as cosmic radiation (also everywhere) exposes you to much higher levels of gamma radiation, which is concentrated at high altitudes.
Apparently the 'solid surface alliance' in the US started a lot of this story. Unsurprising. And as for 'lobbying' in China in India, I suggest you do some research between the differences in their political systems. The only chance of stone quarries having any political power at all in China is if they are owned by the state. That is actually highly likely, so your lobbying idea there is plausible. However, granite is also mined in the US, Europe and Australia and has been for many years.
Is it true Recon. stone is more hygenic than Granite and Marble (due to it being less porous)?
Good one skyfish...which reconstituted stone company do you work for...LOL
nemisis
Good one skyfish...which reconstituted stone company do you work for...LOL

And who do you work for???

Nemisis, few months ago you posted this
nemisis
No idea mate, I'm a novice on stone.

in this thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34028&p=483696&hilit=stone#p483696
Now all of a sudden you're an expert? Most people on this forum we'll take the word of posters such as Strumer who are actually experts in their field.

The only posts you make are to try to start a sh*tfight in this thread. It's getting tiresome.
I have just ordered caesarstone for all the bathrooms (4) and l'dry but for the kitchen I am going with granite and I am happy with that choice. I was umming and ahhring between marble and granite (price diff 5-7k) and I chose granite because of my careless nature. Once sealed the granite will cause less of a headache than the white marble. Also, I don't like the idea of glued up engineered stone and plastic corian as food preparation areas and also you can never buff, repolish or repair it.
Related
1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

1/04/2024
Holes in mitred edge of stone benchtop

General Discussion

Hi Courtney The mitred edges are glued up with epoxy so those little holes and gaps are areas that weren't filled correctly. Silicone is the wrong product to fill them…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum