Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

DIY Pantry / Study / Linen / Laundry / ANYTHING Fitout

Page 11 of 15
Just been looking at Billy sizes, how about 3 x 80 wide x 39 deep with an opening for a desk between them? The desk would then be approx. 1.5m long which is still a bit bigger than I wanted, but the smaller billy sizes only seem to come in the shallow depth (28cm) which is too small really. Do you think the desk would look weird sticking out a bit from the bookcases though - 39cm is too shallow for a desk really. Although if we could build a shelf just above it for the monitor it might work. But that could be getting into too much building from scratch territory. All these questions...!!
She kind of makes it sound easy for a nice simple design (love this look and the wall colour is lovely too) but it might be a bit trickier trying to incorporate a desk as well? Perhaps it would be better to add a desk on the end corner?

http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2011/11 ... built-ins/
Here are some ideas I have for storage solutions for the house. Goodness knows I have enough of them saved on my Pinterest Boards

Under the sink
http://pinterest.com/pin/135741376238861924/

Either this:
http://pinterest.com/pin/135741376239012059/

or this:
http://pinterest.com/pin/135741376239012059/repin/
to solve the clutter in the second drawer. I always find that drawer a nightmare

I'd love this for the toilets but I don't think our studs are wide enough

http://pinterest.com/pin/135741376239375464/

And this one to store pots and pans
http://pinterest.com/pin/135741376240428836/

this one for next to the sink
http://pinterest.com/pin/135741376240786227/

This for toilet rolls
http://pinterest.com/pin/135741376240828881/repin/
because unfortunately I have a window in the toilets so can't do a cupboard.

Oh.... and I love the Ikea Hackers website!!!
Hello,

I managed to get photo's of my WIP fitout today - only basic as I didn't upgrade anything.

I thought we were just getting the normal linen shelving but it's actually proper cabinets and shelves are all adjustable which I am happy with.

This means I can separate all my items and also heights for cans vs bottles and I have a free wall for my spice rack, although to be honest I am thinking of using the draw beside my cooktop and having a spice draw so I don't need to go back and forth.

here are some pics if you like to see:

standing at the pantry door:
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r590/Lilac500/WIP_zps5ea79c49.jpg

the corner:
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r590/Lilac500/WIPcorner_zps51f0499c.jpg

then the right wall:
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r590/Lilac500/WIPright_zpsc79a9356.jpg

these go 1800 high so we have heaps of room on top (we have 3m ceilings) for the big stuff like woks, rice cookers etc. Also, DH knows a very good kitchen maker so he could also add to this up to the roof when we're in. getting him to do my WIR and my kitchen Bin when we can.

thought I would just share
love your pantry lilac
the idea of corner shelves fantastic
that looks fab! which builder is that?
I think it looks fab too lilac. . . bit like Nina's. . . You could even cut some extra shelves to size if you wanted more.
Hey Nina. . . firstly, can I say. . . Excellent mockup! How did you do it? Secondly. . . the doors look really naff with those drawers, don't they just! HAHAHAHA!

You know what I thought when I posted up the design for your built-in. . . this would be much better with Billy!

Didn't like to say though, as it's up to you what you use.

I love the Hemnes range, but if you're going to do a built-in, you can really use anything as long as it's strong (Billy bookcases have 20mm thick shelves I think. . . most others just have 16mm as standard). I think it would be a shame to have a Hemnes bookcase in a built-in too, as it has the lovely side-panel details and legs. . . which would all be covered up.

And. . . Billy's a lot cheaper. . . Kerching!

The third example you posted up there (with the beige carpet and glass pendant) looks like it would be very simple. Just some cover-strap, skirting, DAR and Crown moulding, and off you go with your paint-brush!

I'm not sure about painting it all to get that built-in look. . . I don't think I'd be painting melamine. . . and I'd actually prefer melamine (or foil) shelves as it's a lot more resilient than paint.

I've read somewhere that you can buy small white "foil" sticky circles. . . to cover up the shelf holes. If you look closely in the third example again, you can see that they haven't covered the holes. .. still looks great!
lilith

Thank you lilith

We are building with Kurmond homes. This is obviously standard as we didn't upgrade anything and after seeing it today, I am thrlled with it - I thought we were just getting the normal linen open shelves.

Having such a modular pantry I think is going to make it so much easier to keep things tidy... well hoping anyway - as long as all my tupperware fits in she'll be right!

It's made from the same material as our kitchen cabinetry (just got new kitchen photo's today so can see it on my thread if you like - link in my signature).

jodge
I think it looks fab too lilac. . . bit like Nina's. . . You could even cut some extra shelves to size if you wanted more.

Oh thanks Jodge.... You're the expert so that means a lot

And yes - adding additional shelves will be so easy - there's those little plug holes down each side so all adjustable and will be able to adjust shelf heights to match the items so I don't have big gaps every where. So exciting
Hi Nina, how about 2x 390Dx800W and 2x 280Dx400W Billies.

I like to keep things symmetrical. . . with a 1.2m desk in the middle?

The 280mm bookcases would be pushed forward to meet the 390 bookcases, so they're flush along the front.
Lilac
lilith

jodge

Oh thanks Jodge.... You're the expert so that means a lot

Hahahaha! Expert! Hahahaha!

I know nothing! HAHAHA!

Edit - to say. . . more like "obsessed" than expert.

Hey Nina, it's not too difficult putting things up on the wall. Beauty of it is that if you get the hole in the wrong place, it doesn't matter as you're covering it up with whatever you're putting up there anyway! HAHAHA!

I was lucky in the laundry. . . it's villaboard in there (or whatever the waterproof gyprock's called), and it's really tough, so I didn't have to hit any studs.
love your drawings jodge
it helps so much
i need you to make a plan for me
jodge
Hi Nina, how about 2x 390Dx800W and 2x 280Dx400W Billies.

I like to keep things symmetrical. . . with a 1.2m desk in the middle?

The 280mm bookcases would be pushed forward to meet the 390 bookcases, so they're flush along the front.

LOVE IT Jodge! I wanted extra shelves in a different width so you've solved that one, and guess what - the BESTA desk comes in 1.2m width and has the all important back board to hide the cables - so that could tie in perfectly - do you think it would look ok? We are hopefully getting our new sofa this week, so I will be able to measure out the space to see how an office chair will look next to it in the middle of that wall.

A few things to consider - we have sockets, cable and gas pipes behind where the bookcases would go, but I just assumed we could cut out a hole in the bottom of the bookcase backing for access to these?

How would we secure the smaller depth bookcases to the wall if we pull them out so they are flush with the deeper bookcases? What do you think we would put on the top of the bookcases - some sort of trim like the others have done? And skirting at the bottom with a kick board type thing? I know you mentioned carpet before - do you think this could all work without pulling back the carpet? DH is VERY excited about it. What do you think about something to bridge the gap above the desk - could we add something up high?

Have to say I am getting quite excited about this room now and was even thinking about painting it a different colour last night. It will be so nice to have it looking homely and lived in. (Although the kids generally do a good job of making it look lived in!)

Lilac - I agree - your pantry is FAB! And yes it is v similar to ours, only way bigger and the shelving is so much neater - they've done a lovely job. Bet you are looking forward to filling all those shelves. I really do love pantries, they seem such a luxury!

jodge
Hey Nina. . . firstly, can I say. . . Excellent mockup! How did you do it? Secondly. . . the doors look really naff with those drawers, don't they just! HAHAHAHA!

You know what I thought when I posted up the design for your built-in. . . this would be much better with Billy!

Didn't like to say though, as it's up to you what you use.

I love the Hemnes range, but if you're going to do a built-in, you can really use anything as long as it's strong (Billy bookcases have 20mm thick shelves I think. . . most others just have 16mm as standard). I think it would be a shame to have a Hemnes bookcase in a built-in too, as it has the lovely side-panel details and legs. . . which would all be covered up.

And. . . Billy's a lot cheaper. . . Kerching!

The third example you posted up there (with the beige carpet and glass pendant) looks like it would be very simple. Just some cover-strap, skirting, DAR and Crown moulding, and off you go with your paint-brush!

I'm not sure about painting it all to get that built-in look. . . I don't think I'd be painting melamine. . . and I'd actually prefer melamine (or foil) shelves as it's a lot more resilient than paint.

I've read somewhere that you can buy small white "foil" sticky circles. . . to cover up the shelf holes. If you look closely in the third example again, you can see that they haven't covered the holes. .. still looks great!

Just some copy and pasting of pics in powerpoint Jodge! Ok, so that's good, I don't want to have to paint all the bookcases - but will need to check for paint colour that is the closest match to them if we are going to stick wood over the gaps etc. There are a few websites that say what paint they used. Also somebody just filled the holes with wood filler stuff and painted that, but might look patchy if we're not painting the rest. Those holes look ok from a distance but I hate the look close up.

Or perhaps just paint the holes unfilled with tippex?!! haha!!
Very good Besta desk!

There's a Besta wall shelf which is 1.2m long, perfect for above!
there's a billy too - cha-ching again!

Hmm, desk front might look weird sticking out though if we cover the other fronts with moulding - although I suppose you could cover all the desk front too? sorry, thinking out loud as usual - start typing before I've really thought it through. perhaps I should have a look on the Bunning's website
in this one she only puts trim on the top and bottom and it looks fine,
so perhaps that's the way to go (less work too)

http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2013/01 ... bookcases/
jodge
Thanks Dee. . . I thought everyone would laugh at me!

Lilith. . . I think I remember that having the overhead shelf at about 1800 is good for a standard wardrobe with double rails. Top rail is about 100mm under this.

Our builder stuffed up with our WIR. . . I have my top shelf at 1700mm, and I would have preferred 1800. On Phil's side I've gone a bit too high, having his top shelf at about 2.2m (men's shirts hang a lot lower than womens')

As a good rule, go through your wardrobe until you find yours and your DH's longest piece of clothing, put it against the door frame, hold it so it hangs above the ground, then mark (with something you can rub out later, a pencil?) on the door where the rail would be. Think about what you'll be hanging where. . . trousers on the bottom rail, shirts on the top?

Great topic ... our WIR shelf was raised to 2m high so that double rails could be fitted in ......
Just noticed some storage bargains in this catalogue, don't know about the quality, for any of you who live near a Sam's Warehouse. Be quick as it ends tomorrow.

http://www.lasoo.com.au/catalogue/sam-s ... dCatalogue
I'm jumping aboard here now
We're just about to build a smallish "for now" house and I'm making a bold call for a mother of 4 boys, I'm shifting the laundry to a european laundry in the back of the garage and taking over the entire laundry for my WIP. I'm trying to figure out how I want the pantry before the build starts so I can get my doors etc in the best location. I'll be back after school drop off to finish reading the whole thread
we love walk in pantrys this thread helped when designing my walk in pantry
Related
9/04/2024
Proposed walk in linen

Renovation + Home Improvement

Do you really want to accommodate the window? What is on the outside of the window? Do you want to be able to see your towels from outside? I would blank the window from…

22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum