Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

2 Pack or Vinyl Wrap?

Page 2 of 2
Kitchenpro
CuttingEdgeKitchens
Hi CEK, I guess it's all down to personal opinion, but to answer your question - I do both vinyl and painted kitchens, it's purely what the client is wanting. If I am asked which way to go, then I will almost always steer clients down the vinyl path. If a kid damages a door, in vinyl wrap it's about $40 to order a new door (sometime a little more if its a bigger door). This is far more efficient than the cost of a painter repairing the damage, sanding the door, mixing the paint and spraying? Most cabbies would have a minimum charge much higher than the cost of a vinyl door.
Again, it's just personal opinion. I understand that those who have come through the industry and have been taught that paint is the best will be pro paint, and similar with those with vinyl wrap. I have been involved in both and personally like vinyl wrap.

Agreed.

I have used both extensively and have had far less issues with polyurethane. We have never used any of the cheap vinyl suppliers only the top end companies.

The issue with ordering a new vinyl door comes if that colour is no longer available or the new batch has slight colour differences. Vinyl like laminate comes in a limited amount of colours and if your particular colour isn't that popular then the supplier drops that colour in favour of another.

With polyurethane it can be colour matched and resprayed at any point in its life without issue. I agree that yes to colour match a door costs more than buying just one vinyl door.
Althom
Then that would be my problem wouldn't it?
At 3 times the cost I simply cannot find any justification for 2 Pack. Do the sums - there's no payback in it.

where in the world are you getting 3 times the cost, just not true , 20% extra, the company you got the price from, was just not wanting to do 2 pac, so priced it out of your job, all my quotes are similar ( 4 quotes ).
Joker
Althom
At 3 times the cost I simply cannot find any justification for 2 Pack. Do the sums - there's no payback in it.

where in the world are you getting 3 times the cost, just not true , 20% extra, the company you got the price from, was just not wanting to do 2 pac, so priced it out of your job, all my quotes are similar ( 4 quotes ).

Where in the world - Perth and not just one quote at 3 times the cost.
Althom
Joker
Althom

Where in the world - Perth and not just one quote at 3 times the cost.

Anyone quoting 3 times the cost is robbing you blind!
That's Perth all over. Everybody thinks everyone works on the mines and is making a fortune. With the downturn and mass unemployment a lot of those businesses are slowing catching on that people can't afford them or alternatively they are finding their McMansion, XR6 ute, the boat and the Jetski get repossessed.
I know things are more expensive over here, but I can't believe a kitchen reno would cost you 3 times as much just to upgrade to 2 pack. The companies would never sell a kitchen and would go broke.
Even just replacing the doors and panels of an existing kitchen shouldn't see that much of an increase between the 2, even here in Perth, let alone as part of a total kitchen reno.
I've just finished a $30k kitchen reno and the difference between vinyl and 2 pack was around $2000. The customers opted for the 2 pack option.
Maybe you've been going to the wrong companies for a quote.
I know this is an older thread, however...

Just to weigh in for anyone trawling through for thoughts on vinyl wrap - if you have allergies or toxicity issues, don't get vinyl. It outgasses like mad, and especially the older and more degraded it is. If the sun hits your cupboards during the day - even worse.

2pac every time. A respray gives you a whole new kitchen for $$$ not $$$$$$$$$. Relatively inert, after the initial solvents/carriers catalyse and gas off.

You can easily get custom colour matching with 2pac - can't do that with wraps, and the vinyl range is pretty limited.

Cutting Edge is on the money, here... if I did kitchens, I wouldn't offer vinyl either - unless I was looking to cut margins and had zero conscience.

I'd also say that from personal experience, you'd be forking out for a new vinyl $40 door a lot more often than you'd need to get a door sprayed with 2pac. You are generally given touch up paint to match, and if you are careful and can follow instructions the repair (if necessary!) won't be seen.

My indoor air quality is paramount, and I won't have vinyl in the house if I can possibly help it.
Oops, meant for another thread!
Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

1/11/2023
House wall wrap

General Discussion

Vapour permeable wraps are recommended for any climate and main think it is allow walls to breath (i.e. remove water vapour) while at the same time, providing protection…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum