Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

GPO on Island Bench

Page 2 of 2
Stewie D
The trouble is alt0160 you either spoil the end or side of the island benchtop with a standard GPO or you install one of those evolines and spoil the clean lines of the top of the benchtop.
They don't sit 100% flush with the top of the bench either.
50/50 either way and comes down to personal choice as to what looks better.

Cheers Stewie. It is a case of spoil one of the other, at least the evoline is pretty 'cool' and it means that I wont have cables hanging over the side.

I must admit, they are pretty big and you loose space in the cupboard below.
We have a saturn GPO installed at the side of our island bench, in the stone too. Infact it pretty much looks identical to Sceen7's. I think it looks great & i'd prefer that to loosing space in my pot drawers by installing it at the front of my island.

With a 4m long island bench there was always going to be a GPO there since it's a workspace, otherwise it would be a complete waste of space.

I didn't even know you could change the colour of the black to the saturn switches, I will be looking into that though
Broom
I didn't even know you could change the colour of the black to the saturn switches, I will be looking into that though

Yep, Clipsal part number 4000VH1, followed by the colour code. WE is white. Can get from most electrical suppliers, though probably have to order at a minimum of 5. This on-line company also sells them.

http://www.saturnshop.com.au/products/C ... round.html

You can also get the frame for the 4 way power point too.

Not hard to put on either and if you know what your doing can be done without removing the wires, which of course would require a sparky to do.

As I said it is a pet hate of mine. Sure some people may well like the black and it may well go with some houses, but I reckon most don't even know the frames exist. In my house I have C-bus, which is where Saturn first appeared and there is one switch type that is slightly larger than a normal switch and they don't make a frame for it. It narks me every time I walk past it seeing the black, whereas the other switches and power points blend much more nicely into the walls, leaving the glass as the bit that stands out.
AJW
Broom

Yep, Clipsal part number 4000VH1, followed by the colour code. WE is white. Can get from most electrical suppliers, though probably have to order at a minimum of 5. This on-line company also sells them.

http://www.saturnshop.com.au/products/C ... round.html

You can also get the frame for the 4 way power point too.

Not hard to put on either and if you know what your doing can be done without removing the wires, which of course would require a sparky to do.

As I said it is a pet hate of mine. Sure some people may well like the black and it may well go with some houses, but I reckon most don't even know the frames exist. In my house I have C-bus, which is where Saturn first appeared and there is one switch type that is slightly larger than a normal switch and they don't make a frame for it. It narks me every time I walk past it seeing the black, whereas the other switches and power points blend much more nicely into the walls, leaving the glass as the bit that stands out.

Wonderful, I'll get DH onto it, he's got his sparky licence anyway so he can change them easy enough. Hmmm wonder if he knew about the white frames but didn't want to spend the extra $$

We have 2 of the saturn switches on our white glass splashback & the black frames particularly stand out there, I almost think the standard plastic switches would look better at the moment!
Broom
I think it looks great & i'd prefer that to loosing space in my pot drawers by installing it at the front of my island.

Didn't you need clearance for your stove top or sink? I stole that space, which would have been dead space anyway, for my GPO (and the required emergency electrical cutout for the stove).
PHL
Broom
I think it looks great & i'd prefer that to loosing space in my pot drawers by installing it at the front of my island.

Didn't you need clearance for your stove top or sink? I stole that space, which would have been dead space anyway, for my GPO (and the required emergency electrical cutout for the stove).

There would have been clearance because of the sink but the sink is at one end of the bench & I wanted the GPO at the other. Stove top is on opposite bench.

I guess I just don't understand why people gasp at the idea of cutting a hole in their stone for a power point. You should see the whopping big cut out in my stone to allow for my sink!

Putting it on the side of my island is practical, looks perfectly fine & doesn't waste space, twas a no brainer.
Broom
I guess I just don't understand why people gasp at the idea of cutting a hole in their stone for a power point. You should see the whopping big cut out in my stone to allow for my sink!

Putting it on the side of my island is practical, looks perfectly fine & doesn't waste space, twas a no brainer.

I have no problems cutting holes in stone; I have two power points in my CS splashback as well as my controller for my hot water.

It's just that a waterfall end is such a feature, it's a shame to spoil the clean look. Mine is just polyurethane (I wanted an overhang so drips don't end up running down the sides), but I've purposely keep it totally clean.
Does anyone know what the cost to provision power point to island after slab I.e digging a trench and running a conduit

Related
7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

29/05/2024
Kitchen island dimensions

Kitchen Corner

Well, it was the default we got with our deign, walking through the build last week felt ok, based on drawings on the floor, it is basically a metre, which is quite a big…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum