Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Where should I put the kitchen sink!?!

Page 2 of 2
Another thing to consider is its placement in regards to the stove top. Try not to have it directly opposite so you can have 1 person at the sink & 1 cooking. Otherwise one of you will try & bend over and...
I would not have it on the kitchen island benchtop at all, however you don't have room on the other bench... so..., with 4m to play with I'd put it to one end and as suggested by someone else have a raised servery to double as a splashback
In our current rental we have it in the middle of the bench. It gets in the way of prepping food, no room for drink glasses or nibbles when guests over, kids mess with the tap(grrr!) always looks messy (the area DEMANDS to be kept tidy!) and to prep food on other bench means you have your back to everyone too.

needless to say we won't have the same in our new house
xquisite
Another thing to consider is its placement in regards to the stove top. Try not to have it directly opposite so you can have 1 person at the sink & 1 cooking. Otherwise one of you will try & bend over and...

Not sure which way you are going with that Xquisite
Pos
I would not have it on the kitchen island benchtop at all, however you don't have room on the other bench... so..., with 4m to play with I'd put it to one end and as suggested by someone else have a raised servery to double as a splashback
In our current rental we have it in the middle of the bench. It gets in the way of prepping food, no room for drink glasses or nibbles when guests over, kids mess with the tap(grrr!) always looks messy (the area DEMANDS to be kept tidy!) and to prep food on other bench means you have your back to everyone too.

needless to say we won't have the same in our new house

I can see the benefit of a raised servery but I'm not keen on the look of them. I can see how a sink in the middle of the island would get in the way of prepping food etc but I think with the sink to the side it won't be an issue

My reason for having the sink in the island is so I don't have my back to anyone (particularly my young children
) my sink in our last house was tucked away & it used to drive me nuts when we had people over & I was hidden away loading the dishwasher etc.
some good points have been made i like the open island bench but you cant have it that way so up one end would work better i would have thought up the stove end personally would be the smartest option as it makes it easier to fill pots with water and rinsing pots ect not sure why you would want to walk 4 mtrs to fill a pot and personally cant see any safety issues having it at the stove end.
My island bench will be just shy of 3 meters. Original plans had our sink in the middle of this, but we moved it to the end of the bench opposite our stove.

Good luck with your decision
Put the kitchen sink in the kitchen......
I think we have settled on centrally mounted sink (a beautiful schock one), Our bench will be the standard 3 meters (I think you get 3.2 to be exact). Our bench however is going to be double width and matched by another against the wall with a 90cm cooktop. The island bench, if you measure all four sides will be over 9 linear meters long, add to that the other bench and you end up with nearly 12 meters of work space. Yes the sink and stove are in there, but they are workspace too.
Placement of the dishwasher and all of the crockery/cutlery drawers, I think are just as important. You want to make sure most items in the kitchen don’t travel very far, and are close to where they are used most. Our plates and cutlery drawers will live next to the dishwasher and logically the pots and pans will live next to the stove.
We have lived with a horrible, tiny kitchen for 10 years. Might sound pedantic but I dream of a kitchen where everything has a place and you don’t have to walk into the next room for anything!!! lol
Broom

LMAO! yes, i see what you mean. Of course, what i meant was your bum would knock the other person forward into the sink - as you're facing opposite directions. Which way were you thinking??
I have a 4 metre island bench and ours is right over at the end. I love it, there is so much space left over for prep work. It's pretty much the only bench space we have so it works well. I don't think I would have put it against a wall though, a rental we were in once was like that and I hated staring at a wall while doing the dishes. I prefer either under a window or in the open.
Fu Manchu
Put the kitchen sink in the kitchen......

FINALLY! someone answered my question
xquisite
Broom

LMAO! yes, i see what you mean. Of course, what i meant was your bum would knock the other person forward into the sink - as you're facing opposite directions. Which way were you thinking??

I was thinking of both people bending over at the same time & having a "moon landing" (Modern Family joke
)

Although I might add, there is a fair distance between benches & my husband & I aren't big people so I don't think our bums knocking will be an issue
sceen7
I think we have settled on centrally mounted sink (a beautiful schock one), Our bench will be the standard 3 meters (I think you get 3.2 to be exact). Our bench however is going to be double width and matched by another against the wall with a 90cm cooktop. The island bench, if you measure all four sides will be over 9 linear meters long, add to that the other bench and you end up with nearly 12 meters of work space. Yes the sink and stove are in there, but they are workspace too.
Placement of the dishwasher and all of the crockery/cutlery drawers, I think are just as important. You want to make sure most items in the kitchen don’t travel very far, and are close to where they are used most. Our plates and cutlery drawers will live next to the dishwasher and logically the pots and pans will live next to the stove.
We have lived with a horrible, tiny kitchen for 10 years. Might sound pedantic but I dream of a kitchen where everything has a place and you don’t have to walk into the next room for anything!!! lol

I reckon you have a valid point, the sink is a workspace, which I spend plenty at (woe-is-me) so I don't want to be facing a wall or hidden away from everyone, I would much rather overlook the family/meals area.
Our kitchen should be in in 6 months.....fingers crossed so I will post some pics as the plan comes together in the next few months
I am having the same problem with my kitchen design. I have limited bench space and it doesn't help the sink is on it taking up more space. I like the idea of adding another bench on the island so it touches the wall and putting the sink on the far left. Then adding a raised servery to hide the sink.

Any ideas would be fantastic and if anyone knows the price of a raised servery that would be even better.

pc screen shot
We have a similar layout but have moved the dishwasher to the other end and will use a double under Mount sink without drainer. Gives a bit more bench space and means you can make the drawers 600 wide.

Otherwise if you are going to have a cabinet that meets the wall you might also consider a U shape kitchen.

As above, and if you do continue the bench to the wall and create a 'u' shape kitchen you could extend your pantry to a corner walk-in.
robbie55
We have a similar layout but have moved the dishwasher to the other end and will use a double under Mount sink without drainer. Gives a bit more bench space and means you can make the drawers 600 wide.

Otherwise if you are going to have a cabinet that meets the wall you might also consider a U shape kitchen.

I'm having laminated benches though, I got told you cant use the under mount sinks?
Yeah we love the U shape kitchen, I love my bench space. Just not sure about costing at the moment.
Do you know how much cabinets are to put back in?
MrsBee
As above, and if you do continue the bench to the wall and create a 'u' shape kitchen you could extend your pantry to a corner walk-in.

Do you know pricing for corner pantrys? All these ideas are great. I'm just worried about cost :/
Yeah I don't think you can do an undermount on a laminate top but maybe CEK can chime in. There are some overmount sinks that come without a drainer though - as mentioned our island bench is a similar size and I didn't want to lose any space for the drainer, the sink we've chosen has a drainer insert that sits in the second sink and as we really only wash pots in the sink I think it should work for us.

The U shape will add a bit more as its not just the base units but also the benchtop and you might even add more overhead cupboards to that area. I'd ask them for a quote at least. I've been surprised with our kitchen/internals appt, things that I thought would be really expensive turned out to be quite reasonable and vice versa.

A last point is that getting kitchens and bathrooms right is so important and tough to do after handover - might be worth a look to see if you can trim some other items off the list to make up for this.
Related
8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! 😊 so, it’s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

14/04/2024
Anyone recently put in a new shower with bench seat?

Bathrooms and Laundry

I’m loving the potential versatility and practicality of a bench seat in a shower. Anyone had one of these done recently? Not sure if they are straight forward and easy…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum