Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

how to organise a corner pantry

Page 2 of 2
Not sure if it is true but I heard that pantry moths eat plastics and glue and packaging so you should use containers like tupperware, decor etc to store food in and not the original packaging.

One way to not bring them home from the shops is to put flour etc into the freezer for a few hrs. It kills the eggs/moths.
OMG pantry moths - ARGH!!!!!!

When I moved into this rental I threw EVERYTHING OUT that had any trace of anything of them and I mean EVERYTHING! However I was moving in with someone new and they had contaminated foods
little fckers!

This rental also doesn't have a pantry so I'm also using a cupboard with adjustable shelves and had the same problem as MagicJ
I had to go through the whole cupboard with a screwdriver and the vacuum cleaner - not a lot of fun. This cupboard is going to be in my garage at the new place - it is NOT entering the house just in case! Although I think they are all dead and no more waiting to pop out and surprise me

You can buy these things from the supermarket in the pest killer section to help kill them - they are these sticky things that have a scent thing attached to them and the moths get attracted and then get stuck and die - best thing ever! they get feral and disugsting and you may have to use them for a while but they work!
They don't just nest in the cupboard though no no no - they will nest anywhere, even between folds of paper, anything!

Can you tell I don't like them?

As for organising a pantry - Thanks Carla I had no idea I could get a tupperware person out to do that
Manda
One way to not bring them home from the shops is to put flour etc into the freezer for a few hrs. It kills the eggs/moths.

It's gross to think that we could be eating even DEAD eggs/moths in our flour, let alone live ones. Gives me the willies !!!

Where do they even come from originally? In our so-called "first world" country, surely they shouldn't be selling pest contaminated food
?
MagicJ
Manda

It's gross to think that we could be eating even DEAD eggs/moths in our flour, let alone live ones. Gives me the willies !!!

Where do they even come from originally? In our so-called "first world" country, surely they shouldn't be selling pest contaminated food
?

I find rice is a big culprit
I've seriously never heard of them, and definitely never seen them.

I did find weevils in an old container of flour once about 20 years ago, but never since. Little word of advice: if the husks in your wholemeal flour are moving, chuck the lot.
Manda
Not sure if it is true but I heard that pantry moths eat plastics and glue and packaging so you should use containers like tupperware, decor etc to store food in and not the original packaging.

Yes they do eat into plastic packets. And the containers have to be good sealing ones because they just climb through most lids and up the spiral of screw top jars.

I have found not buying dry stuff in large quantities is good, just smaller packets of some stuff so it gets used quickly and doesn't have a chance to get contaminated by existing moths. Pain because I used to like buying amounts of dry beans and things from bulk food stores.

Maybe depends on what kind of dried foods you have in your pantry, we use a lot of dried fruits, flours, legumes, "ingredients" if you will. If you have mostly fresh stuff and things in the fridge and or just cereals and basics in the cupboard you may not find them a problem.

Those moth traps are GREAT. Worth the 10 bucks to buy.
Dragonfly
Yes they do eat into plastic packets. And the containers have to be good sealing ones because they just climb through most lids and up the spiral of screw top jars.

They were NESTING in the spiral of my screw top jars. Ewww. Hate them, hate them, hate them!!!
I don’t have photos as I’m at work, but we’ve got a corner pantry and it’s quite nice actually. We used to have cupboards which I didn’t mind, but growing up with pantries, it is a lot nicer and more organised.

We use the bottom large space to store things like a little step ladder (really little, it’s one step actually, lol), a dust pan and broom, the large fruit bowl, and the crate with potatoes and onions in it. Also, the recycle box is kept there too.

The next shelf up is for the cat food and some decorative mugs and saucers.

The next shelf up is for the things we use most, as it’s at eye level. On the left side is all my snack foods, chocolates, etc. In the middle and towards the back are things like various sauces, pepper, salt things, the spice rack, and then on the right side is the proper food like tins of baked beans, spaghetti, tomato paste, packs of soups, noodles, tins of fruit, blah blah.

The next shelf up on the left are glass jars of dry pasta, rice, containers of flour, sugar, etc. In the middle are containers of cereals so they don’t go stale in the open packets. On the right side is more cereal and coffee.

The very top shelf, which we can’t reach easily, is some old decorative alcohol bottles from various locations in England.

Yep.
Related
12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

5/05/2024
open shelf pantry

Building A New House

My open shelf pantry will be similar to below image with window. all appliances like rise cooker, dish washer will be in the…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum