Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Show me your kitchen...

Page 82 of 158
beautiful kitchens Melodie and SquityChookGirl
kiwi
lovely, I like the splashback all the way up. why dont more do that,

cos it rocks!

Thanks - I'm guessing it's because it costs more money. We were owner builders, so we were able to do whatever we liked (or could afford).
I want your opinions/thoughts on the colour of my splashback please! It's for my ocean-side unit on the Gold Coast. I currently live there and will for a few years, but will also sell it and upgrade so want it to look good for me, but also on resale. Here's the pics so far of my new kitchen (without splash/paint/tiles):

I am thinking a turquoise colour like this one:

But, then my other thoughts are that I should go for a more neutral tone. I know when I was looking to buy a unit, the brightly coloured ones were the ones that stood out which is why I'd like the turquoise. The only flaw with that is that it could put some buyers off if they don't like the bright colour... Thoughts???

Oh, and this is what it originally looked like a few months ago! I'm pretty happy with the change

If people are interested in materials:
- benchtops are 30mm trendstone with waterfall - think the colour was white galaxy
- doors are formica snowdrift gloss (cabinetmakers all said go laminate over 2pak - but wish I'd gone with my preference of 2pak as I notice the difference - I know that no one else will care!)
- brushed aluminium kicks
- I bought the handles, sink & tap on ebay - super cheap!! and they are all awesome!
- hettich hinges & soft-close mechanisms on base cabinets/drawers (LOVE soft close!), push-to-open for overheads

Appliances:
- Fridge: SAMSUNG SRS585HDIS
- Oven: BOSCH HBA43B450A
- Dishwasher: BOSCH SGU55E15AU
- Cooktop: SMEG SA611XA
- Range: OMEGA SOH1SS
^ I completely agree that a strong colour could be off-putting (not to mention that it could go out of fashion sooner than neutral colours). Also, it could be a bit too dark for this particular kitchen, especially if it's still enclosed, ie. if the brick walls have not been knocked down.
When I saw the pics, I immediately thought of a soft light blue, almost that plain glass colour - that soft. But for me it would have to be a 'warm' shade of blue, not a gloomy cold one
I thought of a slab of real marble as the splashback.
or a pale ocean colour as you are on the gold coast like lex says

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff346/zozzles23/glass_tiles.jpg
What a transformation!

These subway tiles as great - love the blue but it will also depend upon your colours in adjoining rooms:

No - the bricks are all gone (that was the orig pick before i demo'd it completely) - it's all opened up now
Colours in living/dining/etc will be predominantly white - which is why I thought to go the deep turquoise.. My furnishings are all dark brown (lounges/tv unit/coffee table/dining table chairs (glass top/silver legs on table) and thought a turquoise could look nice for accessories - paintings/cushions/etc.. I'm not the biggest fan of the pale blue coloured splashbacks - I'd go more of a silvery/creamy splash if I was going pale.

Where are the subway tiles from?? They're cute - but i don't know if I want tiles (even though my bank balance would def thank me for it haha)
renofun
No - the bricks are all gone (that was the orig pick before i demo'd it completely) - it's all opened up now
Colours in living/dining/etc will be predominantly white - which is why I thought to go the deep turquoise.. My furnishings are all dark brown (lounges/tv unit/coffee table/dining table chairs (glass top/silver legs on table) and thought a turquoise could look nice for accessories - paintings/cushions/etc.. I'm not the biggest fan of the pale blue coloured splashbacks - I'd go more of a silvery/creamy splash if I was going pale.

Where are the subway tiles from?? They're cute - but i don't know if I want tiles (even though my bank balance would def thank me for it haha)

This is our kitchen with a torquiose splashback. Everyone who sees it loves it. It matches a lot of the torquoise colours of kitchen utensils in shops. The colour is "Haymes Blue Spark". We also will have brown lounge suite when it arrives. Walls are "Taupe Grey" We also have some artwork to go up that matches nicely. As for resale, I'm sure not too many would be put off by it. It is not a hard colour to live with or match to.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af187/Kaytee50/Williams%20Landing/IMG_8839.jpg
More pics on my thread.
Most tiles places would have some form of the subway type tile. The glass ones look great.

This style is available from national Tiles:

I love the turquoise, especially Kaytee's. It wouldn't put me off at all
Thanks guys for the feedback
I love yours Kaytee - it's gorgeous!
I love the turquoise, and in an ocean side unit I think it'd be perfect!
Those turquoise/bluish splashbacks look very nice. We stuck to a neutral tone and will accessorize with color instead - I wasn't game enough to do a color.

Our splashback went in a couple weeks ago.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa468/MazzerKony/Snapbucket/IMG_0462.jpg

Details are here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13838&p=752254#p752254

Cheers
Horaldo.
Hi Horaldo,
What a gorgeous kitchen. It confirms my decision to go with oyster benchtops.
Are you kitchen cabinets satin or gloss? You must be so happy with the way it has turned out.
Thanks Abby

They are satin. Gloss was too much bling for us. We are very happy, its very functional and a bonus that it looks good.

Cheers
Horaldo.
Stunning kitchen Horaldo, mine is a similar layout but I wish I had gone for no handles on the top cupboards like yours. It looks so much more streamlined.

Loretta
^^^^Horaldo, great kitchen! I think your choices of the oyster benches and the satin finish cabinets are spot on.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/bail2000/012.jpg
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/bail2000/086.jpg
deb deb deb, how sick is that!!!!

you must be sooooo happy
thank's kiwi, we love it, I change things around every day, so it never looks the same
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/06/2024
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

I used MJH, and same thing, buy now pay later. So far its been excellent. We have only paid the first payment, was around $25,000 total or so. We are now 3 or so months…

27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum