Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

Sealing new walls ??

Page 1 of 1
Hi there! So I've done a bit of reading and it seems we need to seal our walls prior to painting
I'm not against doing it of course but Im a bit worried about the smell as I have a 10 month old and I don't want him breathing in any fumes- can anyone reccomend a product that dosent smell ?
I have just painted our entire house using a sealer on all the ceilings. The smell isn't great but not overpowering either. It disappeared within a day or so. If you are that worried then perhaps have the child have a long weekend away or do the house in sections keeping him away from the smell.
if its plasterboard your sealing then use wall board sealer, it doesnt smell any worse than an acrylic paint.
Just done the first room in Dulux sealer binder.. I was pretty surprised how thin the consistency was- more like milk...but the lady at bunnings assured me this was normal so I hope it will be okay!

Just wondering if you need to cut in with the sealer?- I read somewhere you don't have to so I avoided it and just went as close as I could.
Mgilla- it's the standard WA plaster.
don't be too stressed about being neat. It's really there to give the colour coats something to adhear to without soaking into the plaster thus saving on the amount of (expensive) final paint you will need
...and as you have discovered it's not a nice smell. Just make sure you have fresh air when doing it. Hubby did ours in June 5 years ago with a room heater on for warmth and to help it dry and foolishly had windows closed. To say he felt a little drunk after doing a room or two was an understatement. He had trouble holding a cup of coffee without spilling half of it. Hubby also ended up feeling really unwell and headachey. Just make sure you have access to fresh air. Take regular breathers and keep the littlies out of the room. The smell is gone within a day or two. Hewas fine once he realised that he needed to take the fresh air instructions seriously and have fresh air while doing it.
I was pregnant when DH sealed out last house that smell made me gag.

As for cutting in with sealer i noticed my painters didnt. I think perhaps cause paint goes on thicker when they cut in with brush its not a big deal. Im not sure but my paint looks great
Related
3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

20/04/2024
Sealing Gas heater brevis underground duct

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi everyone Question about Brevis gas heating undergound - was recently installed by previous owners (<1 year old) but live in a relatively large house - 4 bdr - and only…

23/03/2024
Strange noise in the walls

General Discussion

Nope, only on the inside, I've literally has my ears to the brick outside and can't hear anything. I can sort of 'reset' the noise by pressing firmly on the studs. This…

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum