Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

Non Yellowing Paint

Page 1 of 1
Wasnt sure where to put this.

We built last year and the doors and door frames were really white (like the ceiling/cornices). Now they are very cream... really obviously discoloured. The paint used was Solver Trims - High gloss enamel

We plan to build again next year with the same builder but at prestart i want to request they use a different paint and will be showing them photos of how discoloured it is.

Do you think the builder will do this? What kind of paint should i be asking for? I really want my doors to stay white white.

Thanks
I'd like to know! Our colour consultant told us at our meeting that this is just what happens and there is no way of avoiding it, so will be interesting to see replies. My parents house is a year old (same builder) and no discolouration yet though!
Heres how bad my doors are, they were white like ceiling/cornice. After only 18 months i kind expect to still have white doors

And back May 2011 (sorry only photo i seem to have of a door haha) even before walls were painted

The new house will have grey walls so will be so much more obvious
with a solvent based enamel it traps the tannins that leach from the wood over time which is one reason it produces the yellow colour - it can be avoided by using water based enamel paint.
I remember seeing a story like that though about a different brand on TT or ACA a few years ago.

stellabella
Our colour consultant told us at our meeting that this is just what happens and there is no way of avoiding it

Perhaps theyre trying to train us to accept that this is the new normal? I wouldn't accept it, it doesn't make sense, choose a colour that you know will change so fundamentally as to clash with your colour scheme only a year or two later, thats crazy!
I reckon theres a thing that perhaps sometimes does happen, like 4walls describes, but now theyre using it like an excuse to just not make as reliable good quality paint. I remember the gloss oil paint in my grandma's really old house yellowing, but I don't remember every house of everyone I know always reaching some kind of "whiteness use-by date". Even if it did, 18 months is like a stupid short time!
As 4walls said above it's from solvent based trim paint, it always yellows over time and the less light it gets the more it tends to yellow. If you use a water based trim paint it doesn't have this issue. I suspect many painters still use solvent based by default because it is hardwearing and has a nice finish because of the extended drying time, but the down side is the gradual yellowing.
Another down side is its not as healthy.
JazzyJess
Another down side is its not as healthy.

Solvent trim paint isn't that bad, it's no where near as fumey as a varnish or floor finish and it's not an issue if you aren't in the house when it's painted anyway. Water based trim has downsides too, it's not as hardwearing, it dries very quickly so it's more difficult to get as nice a finish with it and it can look a bit plastic IMO with a high sheen so it's a trade off no matter which way you go.
You can add a tint of black with oil based enamel, it's suppose to help avoid the yellowing.

I'm planning on using the above for my new build.

Related
15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

29/05/2024
KDR - non-inclusions from Overseas

Building A New House

Hi Dotty, I'm Shenzhen, China based and…

7/03/2024
Framing timber size needed for a double wall system in non-l

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Long story short, a toilet room is going to back onto our main bedroom and I want to make it close to soundproof. Im going to build two frames (pretty much a room within a…

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum