Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

HELP: What colour to paint trims and doors?

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,

Decided to paint the interior of my house in Antique White USA for the walls.....ceiling white for the ceiling. However a little stumped on colour for the trims and doors. Some people suggest going a lighter colour, darker colour or the same. All I know is it will be a gloss......other than that I have two days to make my decision.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Mook
All depends i have gone a lighter shade of the wall colour in this house to make the doors and trims stand out more as I have used larger skirtings and decorative doors, in the previous house I painted them in the same colour to blend as I had flush panel doors and standard skirtings.

Cheers Lou
Would use the same colour or go lighter eg same colour but 1/4 strength
We used a similar colour to Antique White USA in our last house, we used double strength on the skirtings etc as we figured that the colours wouldn't clash. The colour difference was only slight but it looked nice.

Good luck with your decision!
we did ours darker, i find they dont look as dusty being slightly darker but they standout more as well.
Thanks for all your input guys......thinking 1/2 strength antique usa on walls and 1/2 again but a gloss on the trims. Hopefully it will look all good
I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing so glad i found this thread - how much lighter is half strength? Hard to imagine a lighter white...?
shakyreno
I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing so glad i found this thread - how much lighter is half strength? Hard to imagine a lighter white...?

Not to sure, but a friend has just painted her interior in full strength, her house does not recieve much natural light and it does throw to a creamy side. I am hoping the 1/2 strength will keep the creamy tone to a minimum.... I love the colour regardless so any strength will look hot hopefully
We used Dulux Whisper White on ours and it works great. We have a darker colour on the wall - Dulux Blind date.
Mook, make sure you put some pics up when its done
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and say white!

...but it all comes down to personal preference, and what style and feel you want to create for your home. Mine is fairly traditional, not contempary, which I why I went with panel doors and all woodwork painted gloss white. I love the contrast between the wall color and the doors/trims, and it matches the white plantations perfectly.

...but that's me!
^ Me too, Stormy, and my house is contemporary. I love my trims and doors contrasting with the walls.
kek
^ Me too, Stormy, and my house is contemporary. I love my trims and doors contrasting with the walls.

Hi Kek,

My painter isn't starting for another two weeks, luckily because I am still confused with what to choose!!!
My skirting boards are quite small, not that wide, so I was thinking keeping it the same colour would be the way to go!

As I am going for a contemp look maybe white is the go, also since I am having a white ceiling
Oh what to do?

What colour are your walls painted?

Cheers
Seeing as your wall colour is Antique White USA, I'd keep the trims the same colour. Stormy and kek both have quite strong colours on the wall, whereas Antique White USA is almost white anyway so the difference wouldn't be great.

I personally prefer the trim to match the walls, but if the trims are white, the darker the wall colour the better so the contrast is really striking. I think that's why Stormy and kek's trims work so well, because there's a real contrast there.
I may be a minority here, but I am having the skirtings and trims painted the same colour as the wall. I wanted just a low sheen instead of gloss but the colour selection girl looked at me as if I was crazy! So I told her that I want nothing more than a semi gloss.
I wanted it to blend with the wall so that the furnishings will stand out.
Believe me, it has been done before.
Great to hear there is someone who painted the skirtings same colour
Thanks Starz! Have you got a pic you could share

Cheers
I'll have some as soon as it's painted
mook44
Great to hear there is someone who painted the skirtings same colour
Thanks Starz! Have you got a pic you could share

Cheers

Mine is all the same colour... walls, trim, doors... will find pic if you like.
This is my house with trims the same colour as the walls.... but if you search the posts of donuts, she has Antique White USA throughout her house, walls, trims, doors... possibly even ceilings. I'm sure there are pics floating around.

Cheers thanks Joles looks great! Will attempt to find a pic of Donuts walls
Related
8/06/2023
Paint colour help please

General Discussion

Thankyou so much 😀 I've decided on White on white for doors and trims, White on white 50% on ceiling and Mt buller for walls. Fingers crossed it will look OK 😀

2/03/2024
Flashing above doors and windows

General Discussion

Flashings over doorways and windows our carpenter has installed flashings that is buckled and short of the window frames and door frames is this right Is there a…

28/01/2024
Need urgent help regarding facade colour combination please

Building A New House

Thank you @. Tried to play with the facade models but the exact colour is not matching up.

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum