Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

Tips for painting interior door pleas...

Page 1 of 1
Would love some advice on how to best paint an internal door. The door is a Corinthian (from Bunnings) with 4 sets of grooves. As I don't have workhorses I would prefer to paint while hanging. Best to use brush in the grooves and roller on the rest? Or is it best to spray the paint on? Or paint the whole lot and hope for the best?

I want to achieve as close to a professional finish as possible, amateur though I am.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
turns71
Would love some advice on how to best paint an internal door. The door is a Corinthian (from Bunnings) with 4 sets of grooves. As I don't have workhorses I would prefer to paint while hanging. Best to use brush in the grooves and roller on the rest? Or is it best to spray the paint on? Or paint the whole lot and hope for the best?

I want to achieve as close to a professional finish as possible, amateur though I am.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

This is more or less what I have been doing. Painting the recessed areas with a brush, then roller over the rest of the door. I rollered the outside edge of the door, but left the rest.

I needed to remove the doors to replace the hinges, so while they were off I touched up the bottom and painted the remaining edges.

A couple of tips - don't use too much paint. Be patient and do several thin coats, I don't have a single drip or run of paint in the recesses because I was so slow and careful. Don't use a full size roller, I used a foam roller about 15cm long which was the perfect size for the panels between the recesses.
I am not a pro but what i do is cut in then roll quickly then brush over what you have rolled so you see the brush marks. I add a small amount of turps to the paint it runs a lot easier.
Related
30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum