Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

tricky painting advice needed

Page 1 of 1
I have just painstakingly prepped 22 cabinet doors and drawer fronts for repainting.
These doors have both small insertion and bolection mouldings on them, and were previously painted with an oil based semi gloss. After trying my best to clean the mouldings with sugar soap and a nail brush (toothbrush for the corners) then pressure washing, towel drying, then compressed air, I sanded as much as i could even using one of those sponge sandpaper blocks pressed into all the contours on the mouldings. I then primed them zinsser bin shellac based primer (2 coats). For those who have used this primer you will know it flattens out beautifully, is as hard as nails and cannot be scratched off. I would like to apply 2 coats of oil based semi gloss over this but don't want to go to the trouble of sanding again between coats. Every article I read about oil based paints is that you either have to sand between coats or undercoat again to give bite to the top coat. I know I could lightly sand the flat sections easily enough with a piece of wet and dry, but the kilometers of the beading with all its rounded and shouldered contours is daunting especially the corners.
Question is, is there a time frame between drying and curing that a second coat will adhere to the first coat without the need for sanding or re undercoating?
oldchippy
I have just painstakingly prepped 22 cabinet doors and drawer fronts for repainting.
These doors have both small insertion and bolection mouldings on them, and were previously painted with an oil based semi gloss. After trying my best to clean the mouldings with sugar soap and a nail brush (toothbrush for the corners) then pressure washing, towel drying, then compressed air, I sanded as much as i could even using one of those sponge sandpaper blocks pressed into all the contours on the mouldings. I then primed them zinsser bin shellac based primer (2 coats). For those who have used this primer you will know it flattens out beautifully, is as hard as nails and cannot be scratched off. I would like to apply 2 coats of oil based semi gloss over this but don't want to go to the trouble of sanding again between coats. Every article I read about oil based paints is that you either have to sand between coats or undercoat again to give bite to the top coat. I know I could lightly sand the flat sections easily enough with a piece of wet and dry, but the kilometers of the beading with all its rounded and shouldered contours is daunting especially the corners.
Question is, is there a time frame between drying and curing that a second coat will adhere to the first coat without the need for sanding or re undercoating?

have you considered not using an oil based paint?

that primer is the bomb BTW.
What other paint would you suggest that will give durability, flow and levelling .
I am using a brush and probably penetrol.
oldchippy
What other paint would you suggest that will give durability, flow and levelling .
I am using a brush and probably penetrol.

acrylic latex paint or acrylic alkyd and I'd spray for the best finish. Oil based paints tend to change colour over time so all the hard work you put in will degrade over time. a spray gun isnt overly expensive given the scope of the project.

a water based enamel and some floetrol (which is the same as penetrol, but for acrylics). can get it at bunnings.

What colour were you doing your cabinets?
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

14/07/2023
Painting Multifinish Plaster

Building A New House

Hi, Have used the Dulux 1 step, oil base on my walls(white set), out of can it’s already a more thinner product than a final coat paint Also in water base Water or…

5/03/2024
Painting Acrylic rendered retaining wall

General Discussion

Thanks mate, is there a standard off the shelf type breathable product I can apply DIY? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum