Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

Never pass up a bargain

Page 2 of 9
The OK- that is just STUNNING!
releasethehounds
Wow TheOK, that looks amazing! Must have taken ages... the one time I sanded down an old dresser, I got distracted and sanded a big divot into the top...

nope... as I said "a little over a day", I stripped,sanded,stained and made the drawer fronts on the first day the following day I applied the satin polyurethane.

Thanks for the comment. Cheers..
Now, that's what I'm talking about!

Looks like your dresser was camouflaged with the same poo-brown paint as my chairs.
TheOK
nope... as I said "a little over a day", I stripped,sanded,stained and made the drawer fronts on the first day the following day I applied the satin polyurethane.

I thought you were doing some rounding with the 'day' part... like rounding a week down to a day!
Especially including re-making the drawer fronts. Even more impressive!
Great stuff TheOK!
Wow TheOK, that's lovely.
wow...too many responses...thanks everyone, you made me feel all fuzzy...or is that just the wine?..lol
TheOK
If anyone can recomend a place where I can find matching drawer pulls I'd be grateful, I've tried Schots, Recollections and Steptoes,they all have a similar type, but they're too large.

Have you tried Sneddons? They have a bunch of drawer pulls on their website - can't tell the sizing though http://www.sneddons.com.au/products_page.php?id=116
mswilmot
TheOK
If anyone can recomend a place where I can find matching drawer pulls I'd be grateful, I've tried Schots, Recollections and Steptoes,they all have a similar type, but they're too large.

Have you tried Sneddons? They have a bunch of drawer pulls on their website - can't tell the sizing though http://www.sneddons.com.au/products_page.php?id=116

Now why didn't I think of them? ... Thank you
TheOK that is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

can I send some stuff down to you ???
mecha-wombat
TheOK that is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

can I send some stuff down to you ???

Sure... ummm.. do I have to send it back?
OK here's another one, the cedar table was $25 the HW top was salvaged from a broken desk my neighbour threw out.

The restoration took 3 days, mostly paint drying time, prep work was about 2 hrs.

I have more, they're functional atm, but could do with some sprucing maybe when the weather is warmer.
TheOK. Love the coffee table. What a difference.

Can I borrow you for just one day? Please. Pretty please.
DamNita
TheOK. Love the coffee table. What a difference.

Can I borrow you for just one day? Please. Pretty please.

Ha ha... it's never for one day, the last person to say that had me in shackles with a ball and chain.
I was able to escape after a week.
Another great one TheOK!
I'm still working on my simple kitchen chair...

Lack of time/daylight hours, plus eight hours drying between coats, plus cold temps (extends the drying time a bit) is making it a loooong job. I'm down to the last coat - I think. Might actually finish it today or tomorrow.

Sneak preview:

Before:

After stripping off at least four coats of horrible old paint and with most of the sanding done:

Two coats of walnut stain:

I've since done 4 coats of Danish Oil, and one of polyurethane, with one more to go.
Maybe that's overkill.... it's certainly been lots of work, but worth it for the beautiful glow the timber now has...

This morning I'm trekking across town (about an hour and a half one way
) to pick up a vintage dressing table I won on eBay for $26. It needs stripping and refinishing - of course
- and then I have plans to use it in our family room. Hopefully this one will be a faster project.
kek
I'm still working on my simple kitchen chair...

Lack of time/daylight hours, plus eight hours drying between coats, plus cold temps (extends the drying time a bit) is making it a loooong job. I'm down to the last coat - I think. Might actually finish it today or tomorrow.

Sneak preview:

Before:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/k ... re_1_1.jpg

After stripping off at least four coats of horrible old paint and with most of the sanding done:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/k ... 33_2_1.jpg

Two coats of walnut stain:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/k ... 34_3_1.jpg

I've since done 4 coats of Danish Oil, and one of polyurethane, with one more to go.
Maybe that's overkill.... it's certainly been lots of work, but worth it for the beautiful glow the timber now has...

This morning I'm trekking across town (about an hour and a half one way
) to pick up a vintage dressing table I won on eBay for $26. It needs stripping and refinishing - of course
- and then I have plans to use it in our family room. Hopefully this one will be a faster project.

Great work there kek
, due to the average 60+ short surfaces, chairs can be painfully tedious to restore, job well done, looking forward to seeing your finished dressing table.
Kek, can't wait to see the finished product.
I might have a photo of the finished chair tomorrow....

A funny thing happened when I went to pick up my dressing tablethis morning. Rather than relive the agony (besides, I need to go dish up our late dinner now
), you can read all about it here.
kek
I might have a photo of the finished chair tomorrow....

A funny thing happened when I went to pick up my dressing tablethis morning. Rather than relive the agony (besides, I need to go dish up our late dinner now
), you can read all about it here.
Related
You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum