Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

Bed size for kids

Page 2 of 2
you have to get a double quilt and then get double doona covers. They do make king single but they don't overlap as much ... or so Sheridan told me
. I'll take a pic of DD's new doona this w.e. and post it if you like. I just bought her a dbl mini jumbuck wool quilt from DJ's on special.
haywgl
Currently BOTH our kids sleep in bed with us (yes tragic I know
). DH, being Aboriginal has a belief that the baby should be close to the parents when they are newborn....funny enough DD is nearly 3.5 and hardly new anymore

Hi Bel

We actually had DS1 in our bed for 6 years with DS2 for two. My Health Nurse was all for it and she even gave me literature and books to read about this style of parenting.
DS3 does not sleep in my bed but right next to it in his little port-a-cot. When he is ready, he will move on to his own bed. I sound like a hippy as well

Back to beds... For my boys, king singles as they would much perfer the space in their rooms. There is no way on this earth my DS1 (14 years old) would let any friend share his bed so therefore (as my son said but not in these exact words
) "what reason would I want a double for if I'm not married"
My nieces all have doubles so their friends can sleep with them. So...boys King Single, girls double when they become teenagers

Mrs B
I was single from before DS was born, so I never had the partner issue to consider but there is something I'm wondering and I'm just going to come out and ask it.
With the kids in your bed, what about when you want to be intimate?
My mum asks the same thing Jo!!

For us it is as simple as doing the deed elsewhere or when they are not around. If they are asleep in the bed we have plenty of other places to have some fun - oh and it makes it more interesting to change it up a bit too

Thanks Mrs B - that's what I was thinking, I doubt a teenage boy would share his bed with anyone. I remember my brother had a queen bed and when his friends came over he made them sleep on the floor with no mattress while he had the comfort of his huge bed!
The one time he let a friend sleep in there because it was freezing and Mum made him, the two of them made a huge dividing wall of pillows and blankets so they didn't dare touch each other
joles

Kids would always fall asleep on the couch...

Mrs B
Then there's the king size bed in the spare room...... or the rocking recliner.....

Actually if you look world wide those of you that don't co-sleep are in the minority, it's actually a recent phenomenon in western countries. Not to knock it, it's what you are comfy with -but we co-sleepers aren't so strange actually!
My daughter had a king single and I hated it.

The sheets are never on special and when they are on special there are never any left. King Single bed sheets also seem to cost more then double or queen bed sheets.

When we move the two boys are going to be sharing the one bedroom with the second bedroom as a playroom. When they get old enough to start complaining about sharing a room then I think I will probally buy 2 queen beds and seperate them. I am planning well ahead, with the thought that the kids are not likely to move out of home until there late 20's (given the projected housing and financial concerns) so they will need the bigger beds for there wives (still discussing g/f's staying over with hubby).

As for co-habitation, the baby is in a cot at the end of our bed (he comes in to bed at the 5am feed and stays till we get up), and the two year old sleeps in a single bed with his 8 year old sister.
Mrs B
joles

Kids would always fall asleep on the couch...

Mrs B

Too true ... thats how hubby fell down the stairs .. taking Miss 6 up to bed after she fell asleep on the couch

Joles you have a point about the intimacy ... we had a fairly ascetic lifestyle there for a while until Amelia moved into her own bed
. I was always too tired to be inventive. There are some that say you shouldn't sleep with a baby in your bed in case you roll over onto it ... but I think that relates more to those who sleep more soundly than most. I still have a bad neck from sleeping with my upper body and head hanging off the bed.

Its good to know its becoming the norm .. for a while there we literally felt like people from another planet

edit: I never have trouble getting king single or double on special. They usually go on sale like the rest of linen.
I would just buy a queen size bed. I have slept in a queen size my whole life and I like it, but the only problem is when you get older and need to share with partner, a queen is too small as you are used to it sleeping in it forever, time for a king bed lol.

I guess you will save money in the long run too, instead of buying a king single like some have suggested then a queen size. I will have a king for my room, and have bought a queen size for one other room, and when the time comes Ill get a bed for a baby and my other room will be a study. I wont be bothering with king singles or single beds, although it does seem a bit silly to have a massive bed in a childs room, but oh well.
Bambino Home offers bed for kids. Buy Different size of beds as per your requirement at http://bambinohome.com.au/bedroom-gallery/kids-beds/
Related
25/10/2023
Freestanding bath taps and kids

Bathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom renovation will likely include a back-to-corner bath and we’re considering a freestanding tap with hand-held shower such as the picture included. My hesitation…

24/02/2024
Kids friendly options for exposed aggregate patio

Flooring & Floor Covering

After some ideas on making our patio kid friendly . Currently we have exposed aggregate. The patio faces west and is always in sun even though it has a shade directly…

22/05/2024
backyard retaining wall and raised garden bed render

General Discussion

thanks chippy! here is the back of the wall which has not been backfilled yet. Here is the same back of the wall taken from the other end, behind the steps. As you…

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum