Join Login
Building ForumIdeas Box

H1 new layout?

Page 1 of 3
This morning, I found there is a column of ads on the right of H1 page, whatever which category I went.

New face? This makes the threads look smaller. We are also forced to read the ads
I'm finding them VERY annoying!
The way of the world. That's how sites such as this stay afloat, through advertising. If they weren't there, we wouldn't have this forum. With that in mind, I'm happy to live with them.
HA HA that's what my son does for a living. . .I asked him once what his actual job entailed & he replied 'you know those annoying advertisements that pop up on websites. . .I put them there'

Loretta
The fact that the ads have been noticed because of their placement shows how effective the strategy has been already, even if it doesn't make us want to rush out and buy their product.

They will only be there for a while, and the page layout will change once again, nothing surer.
Deemaree
I'm finding them VERY annoying!

me too
Install a flash blocker to your browser.
What ads? All I see is a blank column to the right but then I have an ad blocker thingy.
I don't know whether it's this new layout, but today nearly everytime I click on a link (new thread, or to type a reply) it takes me to a blank page. Plus it's really slow for me at the moment.

I know there's been ads before, so I don't know if it's just a coincidence that suddenly they're on the right hand side and the forum's not working as well as it normally does.
zircon
What ads? All I see is a blank column to the right but then I have an ad blocker thingy.

I dont mind the ads being there on the right, not that I've actually paid any attention to what the actual ad is... as I use a tiny notebook, and now the threads are easier for me to read
Don't actually mind the ads, something has got to be paying for the maintenance this great site.
It's a great opportunity for some targeted advertising, I wonder if they search the words in individual threads to post up relevant ads
jimnsal
Don't actually mind the ads, something has got to be paying for the maintenance this great site.
It's a great opportunity for some targeted advertising, I wonder if they search the words in individual threads to post up relevant ads

Until views in the site are at odds with the advertisers.
I don't mind ads, but I preferred the ones up the top. It's been blocked by my ad blocker, so I just have a blank column on the right hand side.

It's making it harder to read on my iPhone too, because the width has been decreased.
Nice wide screen helps
Asian Girls For Love Or Marriage
Are you kidding me!!

Come on guys. I understand that you may have had to go to an ad model to pay for the server space, although I do find that difficult to believe as your main site is all about ads and suppliers that pay for the priviledge. But if that's the case, at least make the ads relevant to the demographic you have on the site. I don't want to come onto my thread with my wife and even kids crowding around so we can follow the adventures of our friends on the web forum just to be hit with an ad like that on the side of the thread.

PLEASE, if you have to have ads, make them at least be family friendly!!

SK
I don't like seeing ads on any of the pages if I am browsing at work. It makes the site look garish.
If money is required for upkeep such as hosting costs or whatever, put up a collection tin, I am sure that the people who frequent this site would throw a few bob in to keep the place up and running.

In saying that I don't see them either.
Use firefox as your browser and install and app called AdBlock Plus.
Never see or hear any of that again.
Eskay40
Asian Girls For Love Or Marriage
Are you kidding me!!

+1! Just seen the same ad at 4.30pm!
I don't mind the ads, but I find it a little disturbing to have that pushed in my face on a building forum!?!?!

I had to look twice as I did not believe what I was seeing!!
We believe we have resolved the issue of offending ads unintentionally appearing, and apologize for any inconvenience.

We have filtered the entire list of following categories of ads, which by default Google unfilters:

Weight Loss
Video Games
Sexual and Reproductive Health
Ringtones and Downloadables
Religion
References to Sex & Sexuality
Politics
Get Rich Quick
Drugs & Supplements
Dating
Cosmetic Procedures

Please note we do not intend to display these types of ads at all.

We hope Google's filtering system is fool proof, otherwise if you do happen to see any other offending or objectionable ad please advise via PM to 'homeone' so it can be individually filtered.

Should you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to PM 'homeone'.
Thanks HomeOne. I kinda figured it was a glitch while you figured out the filtering. It was just a shock to se it there as my first ever introduction to the ad based format. Thanks again for tweaking it.
Related
18/08/2023
Bathroom floor tile layout

Bathrooms and Laundry

Possibly both depending on the sizing. Idea of working from the centre is that you dont have a 20mm thin tile at one end and a 400mm at the other end. A quick search on…

24/03/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

You never have a fridge against wall as you’ve drawn. The doors can’t open past 90 degrees and it’s difficult and maybe impossible to remove drawers

You are here
Building ForumIdeas Box
Home
Pros
Forum