Join Login
Building ForumReal Estate

SA land with fill - Previously asbestos contaminated HELP!

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Long story short we have found a block of land we like in Littlehampton, Adelaide Hills SA.
The owner has subdivided land into 3 blocks. When the did soil testing it was found out that the land was previously a dumping ground for building waste - ie bricks and ASBESTOS....
The owners have subsequently removed most of the soil (about 5-6m deep) from most of all three blocks and replaced with clean fill that is independently tested and compacted to level 1 Australian standard.

So, my question is - should we do our own independent soil testing considering we have both pre and post reports of the soil/fill from LABSA?

Is this block of land worth pursuing or should we run a million miles?! The middle block is under contract so we assume it may be ok but we shouldnt trust anyone??

Any advice, insight, thoughts would be appreciated. Any names of soil testing companies that work in the Adelaide Hills?

Thanks
The new fill may be clean but 5-6m of fill? Is it really compacted, can you actually put a slab on that or do you need to drive piles down to something stable. I'd run a mile.
If I was going to be building on that depth of fill I would be thinking of screw piles (see http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=3830). It's not going to be cheap!
Found out today by ringing a builder we have been talking to - they are actually building next door to the block - the soil is highly reactive therefore will cost an arm and a leg to do slab. Therefore we are running a mile!!! We are on a strict budget so not gonna happen!

Thanks for responses. The search continues.....
Related
13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

8/02/2024
Asbestos?

General Discussion

Damn. Know where I could find some?

2/05/2024
Potential Asbestos?

Renovation + Home Improvement

That brown colour looks like Masonite or hardboard. Get it checked but typically asbestos was used in wet areas and plaster board or Masonite in other areas

You are here
Building ForumReal Estate
Home
Pros
Forum