Join Login
Building ForumReal Estate

Buying a house with an asbestos roof !! HELP !!!

Page 1 of 1
G'day everybody...
Just put in an offer on a good value duplex...it has been accepted !
Built in 1970, older style of construction, large rooms (compared to some villas/units we have seen)
and in a pretty decent location as well.
But, (there's always a but)
it has an asbestos roof !! Will our bank have an issue with lending us the money?
And if so, which lender should we approach?
Hope someone out there can assist...
Contact your local asbestos society in your state these guys are great and can answer most of your questions
Contact your local asbestos society in your state these guys are great and can answer most of your questions
There is nothing wrong with asbestos roofs. unless you have the urge to saw and cut the roof for some reason
I agree with bicko. No reason why a bank would be worried, unless the roof is completely unserviceable & is evidence that the house is not fit to live in. If it's occupiable (i think i just created a word!), you should be good to go.
My whole inside of the house was virtually all asbestos. Just do what Bicko says and DON'T cut or saw anything.
To give you an idea of the cost of removing it, if you should want to change further down the track.

I have had a quote today for the removal of 20 metres of fencing. It can be removed with a bob cat ( so they told me) and quite easy for them - cost $2,500

Cheers
Speedie_and_spunky
G'day everybody...
Just put in an offer on a good value duplex...it has been accepted !
Built in 1970, older style of construction, large rooms (compared to some villas/units we have seen)
and in a pretty decent location as well.
But, (there's always a but)
it has an asbestos roof !! Will our bank have an issue with lending us the money?
And if so, which lender should we approach?
Hope someone out there can assist...

Bank will not ask you anything about your roof, and they are fine with asbestos roof that is in "usable" and fine condition.
had a guy at work with one. had a hail storm come through put a couple of holes in the roof, got onto insurance company they sent a roofer out he patched the holes and while he was there he quoted for a new roof and a couple of weeks later he had a new roof fitted.
Related
5/05/2024
Asbestos Corrugated Roof Insulation

General Discussion

You can fit foil board between rafters

13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

8/02/2024
Asbestos?

General Discussion

Damn. Know where I could find some?

You are here
Building ForumReal Estate
Home
Pros
Forum