Join Login
Building ForumReal Estate

should we sign a new lease?

Page 1 of 1
Our rental lease is due to end in three months, around the time our build start date is set for. We've been tenants here for 6 years.

I'm cautious and think we should sign a new 12 month lease. This way we have fixed rent, stable housing, and if the build goes to plan we can end the lease early. I think we should contact the agents now and ask what the landlord's intentions are when our lease ends, and get a new one in place.

Other half thinks we should say nothing and roll to periodic. That if the build goes to plan, we don't have to worry about breaking the lease and potentially getting stuck with a mortgage and rent for longer than intended. I'm worried that if we do that, the landlord will sell or do who knows what before the build is complete and we'll have the expensive nightmare of trying to find short term accommodation for all our stuff and our family.

Curious to know what others thoughts are on this?
mcbks
Our rental lease is due to end in three months, around the time our build start date is set for. We've been tenants here for 6 years.

I'm cautious and think we should sign a new 12 month lease. This way we have fixed rent, stable housing, and if the build goes to plan we can end the lease early. I think we should contact the agents now and ask what the landlord's intentions are when our lease ends, and get a new one in place.

Other half thinks we should say nothing and roll to periodic. That if the build goes to plan, we don't have to worry about breaking the lease and potentially getting stuck with a mortgage and rent for longer than intended. I'm worried that if we do that, the landlord will sell or do who knows what before the build is complete and we'll have the expensive nightmare of trying to find short term accommodation for all our stuff and our family.

Curious to know what others thoughts are on this?

Which state are you in?

The recent changes in Victoria for example make it hard for a landlord to kick you out of a periodic lease.

I'm in the same situation as you and i chose not to renew my lease and am waiting for my place to finish.
We're also in Victoria. I had a read online and it looked to me like they can vacate you for no particular reason, as long as they give 60 days notice. Less if the house is sold. Have I misunderstood this?
mcbks
We're also in Victoria. I had a read online and it looked to me like they can vacate you for no particular reason, as long as they give 60 days notice. Less if the house is sold. Have I misunderstood this?

There was a major change to rental laws earlier this year.

They can only issue a notice to vacate without a reason if it's the end your first lease term, if you've previously renewed a lease or you are periodic they have to give a specific reason.

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/noticet ... ment-early

The reasons do include if the landlord wants to sell or move into the property, but they can't kick you out for no reason.

If you're still not comfortable you could always ask for a 3 or 6 month lease, that might help avoid or reduce the cost of breaking your lease early.
Related
29/01/2024
Sign off approval required before verandah built

General Discussion

Depends on size, local regulations etc. Ask your Council.

28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! ๐Ÿ˜Š so, itโ€™s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

You are here
Building ForumReal Estate
Home
Pros
Forum