Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Rats and Dust (Lots of) in the Roof of New Home- Is this Nor

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

My house was built in 2014, and ever since I've had problems with rats and a lot of dust coming into the house (through the heating ducts) on a regular basis.

Recently, I was told by a friend that I shouldn't be experiencing these problems with a relatively new house, and that the builder may not have sealed the roof properly.

Is this true? And, is this something that I can bring up with my builder?

Cheers,
What type of roof do you have - metal or tiles? I'd presume tiles if you are getting a lot of dust on your ceiling and I would also presume that there is no sarking under the tiles as well?

Stewie
In a heating system air is taken out of the rooms in the house then passed through a heating coil and returned to the house as heated air. It shouldn't have any air coming into the system from within the roof. It is a sealed system. If you have then there is something not right. Maybe a return air duct is broken.

Stewie D
What type of roof do you have - metal or tiles? I'd presume tiles if you are getting a lot of dust on your ceiling and I would also presume that there is no sarking under the tiles as well?

Stewie

Hi Stewie,

We have a tiled roof, and no, we don't have sarking under the tiles.
Brett0004
In a heating system air is taken out of the rooms in the house then passed through a heating coil and returned to the house as heated air. It shouldn't have any air coming into the system from within the roof. It is a sealed system. If you have then there is something not right. Maybe a return air duct is broken.

I only assumed that dust was coming in through the ducts because it seemed most logical, but no anymore. I'll have to get it checked out though.

My solution is to get an inspector to check up the house as a whole.
Repair any gaps in the ducts, and cover vents and windows with a barrier. You have two choices for repair. You may be tempted to use duct tape to cover the hole if the damage is minor. Mastic, on the other hand, is a more long-term option. If the ducting is severely damaged, it will need to be replaced.
Related
31/12/2023
crusher dust to level lawn

Landscape & Garden Design

the leaves that are now underground go yellow, the tips that poke through photosynthesise and have chlorophyll, same reason they grow rhubarb in the dark.

5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

3/06/2023
Tender and Roof Colours

General Discussion

Hey. Head to a metal and decide on which profile you will use first. Profiles with larger corrugations can greatly change the appearance of the color in different…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum