Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

windows out of plumb by 5mm

Page 1 of 1
Hi
we had issue with issue with window out of plumb by 5mm, and would like to get some advises if this considered within building tolerances or builder must rectify this? we had a few windows out of plumb, one of the window is 2.5m wide, and the others are smaller width.

I am building with Rawson homes.

thanks for your help
What building stage are you at?

Have they done frame straightening etc?
hi luxbuild, we are not nearly PCI stage. we only found out when we had a site visit with site supervisor the other day. I am not sure if they have done their frame straightening or not as there were more than 1 windows were out of plumb, and there are some more windows which are too high for us to reach and we couldn't measure them. we did engage the inspector at pre-lining, but somehow he missed most of the windows.
I would suggest now checking everything is level and plumb yourself. Document everything with referenced photos. Cladding, Floors, Ceilings, Walls, Corners, Doors, Bulkheads, Niches... The AU standards tolerances are explained in the NSWDFT guide to standards and tolerances and the necessary step ladder and measuring tools can be purchased from Bunnings for about $250. Ask your Rawson Homes SS or Building Manager to provide their equipment, and physically help you make these checks. Allow 3-4 hours. Don't be afraid to put the straight edge onto the (if) freshly painted walls etc.
I've just seen your other posts and see you are past when they would have done frame straightening etc.

Has the builder shown you proof its in tolerance?

I agree that you easily need 3-4 hours for a PCI even if you've been watching the build closely along the way.
Jo11
we had issue with issue with window out of plumb by 5mm,

You need to have this thread moved to the Windows & Doors sub forum.
hi thanks for letting me know. i am new to the forum, still bit confused with where to post questions.
by the way, how do i move the question to the right forum? i can't seem to find way to do that, thanks
How do you know they are out of plumb?
Do sashes and panels operate freely?
luxbuild
I've just seen your other posts and see you are past when they would have done frame straightening etc.

Has the builder shown you proof its in tolerance?

I agree that you easily need 3-4 hours for a PCI even if you've been watching the build closely along the way.

yes i am now almost reaching the PCI inspection. we also engaged our own inspector for the frames and pre-lining stage, but somehow, he missed most of the windows.

no, the builder just told us that they won't fix the window 2.5m wide which is the box window as it will be major work, other windows in Ensuites, they just said 5mm wouldn't be even noticeable. So I guess i will wait until we get our own inspector in and ask.

I am planning to walk my PCI first, definitely take 3-4 hours or more as i will be taking my times slowly and testing everything i could.

when should I get my inspector to come in, before my PCI or after? I am thinking for them to come after my PCI, then the builder rectified my list, after that my inspector can come in, but site supervisor said not enough time to handover. what do you think? thanks

by the way, I am still looking for good inspector, can't seem to find yet. we contacted housepect they charged $984, expensive for us, not sure about the quality of their report and how detailed they are.
ECOECO
How do you know they are out of plumb?
Do sashes and panels operate freely?

hi ECOECO, we measured them. we did that from the outside and inside window sills. so we measured right and left corners and middle, then we worked out the differences.

at this stage, we don't have a chance to close and open all windows, but we noticed that the track sills for the panels to open and close is pretty dirty. so I think I will have to check them at my PCI walk after they cleaned the windows.
Inspection should be well before PCI. If major defects are found you can dispute practical completion has been reached. Any defects identified at PCI should just be cosmetic items like paint blemishes and can be fixed quickly later before handover. Things you can see for yourself. I used Houspect. Their report was detailed. I accompanied them on the inspection and ensured as much as possible was checked. I learnt from the inspector and the NSDFT guide, then spent time onsite later carefully inspecting everything. Missed one small window not square, however!
Jo11
by the way, how do i move the question to the right forum? i can't seem to find way to do that, thanks

You could report your own post and ask for it to be moved but ECOECO, the resident windows expert, has now seen this thread and posted replies. Probably still worthwhile asking for a transfer later to assist others who later search the Windows & Doors sub forum looking for a topic of importance to them. This thread has a good descriptive title.
Related
16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

19/11/2023
HIA Contract Clause 16.2 Delays to Carrying Out the Works Af

Building A New House

Unless there is something in special conditions the builder does not have to give you timeline. If your demolition contractor has not removed Asbestos and it was found…

3/12/2023
brickwork out of level

Building A New House

Thanks for the informative response! I'll feed that back to the site supervisor.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum