Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Damp proof or flashing?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

Hopefully this is an easy topic. I am planning landscaping and want to make sure I am following the required guidelines for a health house and slab. We have recently moved into our new single storey home (it is a waffle slab) in Victoria.

I am a little confused on what I can cover or can’t. I was under the impression that weep holes in brickwork or renders are not to be covered and concealed surface should be approx 75mm below slanting away from the house for good drainage.

I have attached two photos, the render at the front of the house and brickwork on the side. The photo of the brickwork clearly shows the weep hole and I presume the flashing. However there is also a plastic membrane that I think is for the slab. Is it safe to cover this?
Likewise, the photo of the render shows the weep holes at the front and the same slab plastic membrane coming up from the dirt. Can this plastic sheet be covered with a concealed surface ie concrete or other surface?
I have highlighted the plastic sheet in red in each photo.

Apologies if this is a no-brainer!

Cheers,
Rhys

Related
15/12/2023
Old historical factory renovation - Damp Proof and Flooring

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi all Am new to this forum. I want to get some ideas/info about how to manage an 80 year old factory restoration to convert to a residence. The factory floor is concrete…

20/03/2024
ROOF FLASHING

Building A New House

I know this post is from a while ago, but the VBA has some good guidance on this. https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... 5-Roof.pdf

4/10/2023
Sikaflex Pro instead of Window Flashing?

Renovation + Home Improvement

AFAIK, flashing is a minimum standard. Out of curiosity is your window glass stamped with AS requirements in any of the corners of each pane? Im almost certan if theyre…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum