Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Starting off from very beginning in Perth

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, been lurking and read some great advice already!

We are currently almost ready to put our home on the market and start afresh. Eldest son has just started Yr 5 so part of the move is getting into a better catchment area for high school. Were planning buying an established house but went to visit a display village and that changed our mind. Still have plenty of time to buy a block and build a house before high school in 2022. Will be putting a 2 story house on a narrow lot whatever block we get, we can't afford a full size block in the areas we like.

So we have found a block in an area we do like. Sub divided 350m2, 10m wide frontage basically a rectangle shape and south facing (didn't even consider that a factor until visiting this site!).

Have done a drive by on the block and it all looked good. Still has the current house on it. Going with the agent to view tomorrow... but besides checking out neighbours etc what else really should we be looking for? I mean a block is a block is it not!

The rear of the block has a double story house behind it so will take note of its shadows. The block is the eastern half of the division so can't check out what's going on to the west but assume they will be putting a 2 story. Any issue with most of the west being shaded all the time or is that mostly a good thing?

Finally (for now) any recommendations for 2 story builders in the 350-400k range? Also read on here getting a design done first then shopping it around for a few builders to quote on is a good way to go. Any recommendations for that also?

Takes me a week to research buying a new TV... researching everything that goes into a house is going to send me crazy!!!
When you say south facing, do you mean the front?
arcadelt

Yes front of block facing south.
Fry
arcadelt

Yes front of block facing south.

That is good. Provided you choose a design that has living areas toward the back of the block, and provided the house to the north doesn’t block the sun, you will get the solar passive benefit of your block's orientation. Just try and avoid the hot westerly sun in the afternoon and early-evening.
New Generation/ Summit homes loft range are great value for money and have quick build times compared to standard 2 storeys.

2 years isn't a lot of time to plan and build a standard 2 storey, so I would encourage you to move quickly if you want to be in before Jan 2022.

Cool thanks for the replies.
It's going to be our 3rd and hopefully final home before the 2 kids grow up and abandon us so a quicker loft build isn't what we are after.

Visiting the block in 50mins, typical it's the first overcast day for months!!
Fry
Hi all, been lurking and read some great advice already!

Takes me a week to research buying a new TV... researching everything that goes into a house is going to send me crazy!!!

Well have I got some research for you!

The government's Your Home website. An invaluable resource about sustainable energy efficient home design.

Here's the section on choosing a site,

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/you-begin/choosing-site

Really read all of the section on passive design, understanding how the orientation of your block & your home will effect your comfort & the efficiency of your home.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation

As has been mentioned, you've already been lucky to find a southern frontage block. That big double garage that most people build won't shade your home. Instead you can have north facing living areas facing the backyard. Lit by northern light, & warmed by northern sunshine in winter. I wouldn't want to go any narrower than a 10m frontage, as you want most of your living areas to have access to the north out back.
Related
30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

29/01/2024
Sign off approval required before verandah built

General Discussion

Depends on size, local regulations etc. Ask your Council.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum