Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

door/ceiling

Page 1 of 1
My mother-in-law's hallway gyprock ceiling keeps cracking directly above where there is a double door linen cupboard. The l.h.door on the top right side is now approx 2-3ml above the actual door jam and consequently will not close The hinges all appear ok. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what might be happening?
slab or suspended timber floor?
age of house?
johnf
My mother-in-law's hallway gyprock ceiling keeps cracking directly above where there is a double door linen cupboard. The l.h.door on the top right side is now approx 2-3ml above the actual door jam and consequently will not close The hinges all appear ok. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what might be happening?

Thank you for your prompt reply. The house is concrete slab approx 30yrs old. Hall floor is covered by vinyl and has been glued down at the edges so am unable to see if any cracking has occurred. There does not appear to be any disturbance in the vinyl itself. Dining room tiles just nearby look as normal. Just repeated cracking in this one ceiling spot and now the door. She has had some issues with gyprock in other rooms with the house being built on re-active clay. Small Cracks appeared in the brick on the outside of the house approx. 5-6years ago but these have been dealt with using professional company who laser-leveled using expanding foam and no re-occurance in brick or other gyprock. Regular visual inspection is carried out. I was leaning towards just humidity/drought, but the door now hitting above the jamb brings a whole other concern. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Need photos inside and out to make any sort of judgement.
johnf
Regular visual inspection is carried out. I was leaning towards just humidity/drought, but the door now hitting above the jamb brings a whole other concern. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Johnf
Welcome to the forum
Unfortunately visual inspections without Data is not enough from an engineering perspective
For more definitive answers you will need to log δ changes against time (ie, Rate Of Change in Movement, Temperature,moisture, etc ) along with Photos. You can employ an expert consultant which can be costly or DIY using the right tools and then blue tooth the survey data to the consultant
Bosch has a range of tools which will do all these for you
Bosch Thermo Detector GIS 1000 C Professional Measure humidity and temperature
Checking Wall & Floor Building Movement with Bosch Lasers
The data from these tools are used in Simulations & in finding solutions
Please leave a PM if you require urgent assistance, I'll be putting up examples here ASAP
hth
Cheers
Chris

insider
Need photos inside and out to make any sort of judgement.

Thank you Chris - I am new to this forum and am amazed at your kindness. My Mother-in-law is 90yrs old and lives 50minutes away. I have kept a close eye on everything for years and the company that we employed for the brick cracking outside used dozens of laser leveling techniques. As I said previously, I have found no movement or deterioration since. I will be going down there again in about a week to take some photos and will investigate the Bosch tools you've suggested. Once again thank you for your time and suggestions. johnf
Odd, on a concrete slab with no visible signs of cracking.For the door to be roughly 2-3 mm higher than the jamb means the hinge side must have gone down considerably.Termites?
oldchippy
Odd, on a concrete slab with no visible signs of cracking.For the door to be roughly 2-3 mm higher than the jamb means the hinge side must have gone down considerably.Termites?

Wow thank you! I regularly keep an eye out around the internal and external perimeters of the house, as does the pest control people, but will now check thoroughly inside the linen cupboard cavity. I appreciate your time and response very much.
Related
8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum