Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Floating timber floor in kitchen - trying to avoid scotia

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

We are installing floors post handover (floating timber), and we've just had our measurement done. We want to avoid using scotia around the kitchen as we've managed to get the builder to leave all skirtings tacked on to avoid it in other areas of the house. The flooring company is saying we can get another kick board to go over the top of the old one, saying we have enough clearance to do this and it shouldn't cost too much. Unfortunately kickboards seem hard to remove so this is probably our only option to avoid scotia. Do we have enough clearance depth to just add another piece over the top? Kitchen is laminex. This is an old photo I came across that shows the dimensions we are working with.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm a novice on this so I have no idea.

Can't see why not, for peace of mind, ask in kitchen section of forum, cutting edge kitchens is your Man.

Ps,we don't have Scotia anywhere as I agree,it's extremely ugly, worth a bit of extra trouble for the classy clean look of no Scotia

You could get new kick boards cut. You'll lose some of the toe room but it looks like it would still be ok.
The only issue will be the end panels. They go all the way to the floor so you would need scribe them and then remove and cut them down. Then put the flooring in and reinstall.
chippy
You could get new kick boards cut. You'll lose some of the toe room but it looks like it would still be ok.
The only issue will be the end panels. They go all the way to the floor so you would need scribe them and then remove and cut them down. Then put the flooring in and reinstall.

Thanks for the advice. We were told the kickboards can't be removed easily, hence putting more over the top. With this in mind do you think the end panels would be difficult to remove?
You are correct that kickers like yours can't be removed so you will need to add to cover the gaps.
The end panels just screw on so you can scribe them with a piece of flooring then remove them, cut off to the scribed line and then reinstall after the flooring.
There is nothing you can do in the DW recess so will have to leave a gap and caulk it. Once the DW goes in you won't see it.
chippy
You are correct that kickers like yours can't be removed so you will need to add to cover the gaps.
The end panels just screw on so you can scribe them with a piece of flooring then remove them, cut off to the scribed line and then reinstall after the flooring.
There is nothing you can do in the DW recess so will have to leave a gap and caulk it. Once the DW goes in you won't see it.

This makes sense, thank you! Hopefully it all goes smoothly.
Keen to know the outcome to this, any final pics??
...I didn't press notify me...didn't take long to live up to the name!
Related
14/06/2024
Landscaper to Avoid - Victoria

General Discussion

Thats rough, good luck.

18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

7/02/2024
How to repair buckled floating floor?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Thanks, that's the motivation I needed to give it a try sooner rather than one day!

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum